Mexican Food: Fideo con Pollo Recipe (Vermicelli with Chicken)
Chicken with Vermicelli Recipe
Fideo con pollo is a hearty dish that will warm your family for years to come. Fideo con pollo is perfect for lunch or dinner and can easily serve a family of 4 - 6 for under $10.
Fideo is a common staple in many Mexican kitchens. It can be prepared alone, with vegetables, beef or chicken. Fideo is usually stir fried with a small amount of oil to a golden brown and then immersed in liquids such as, broths, sauces or flavored bouillon. The fideo soaks up the liquid and becomes a plump pasta.
Over the years, I have tasted many versions of fideo. I've never seen fideo made exactly the same way in the each of the homes I have visited. Some fideos are soupy, while others are dry. Preparation is unique to the preparer and can be customized to the tastes of the family. I've never had a fideo I didn't like.
Easy Fideo con Pollo Recipe
- 6 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 5 oz. box fideo (vermicelli)
- 1 Tablespoon Knorr: Caldo de Tomate, Tomato Boullion with Chicken Flavor
- 2 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Garlic Powder
Knorr: Caldo de Tomate
Knorr: caldo de tomate - substitute. If you are unable to locate Knorr Tomato Boullion, you may use a homemade or store bought chicken broth of your choice. Consider adding tomato and a bit of garlic and cumin for flavor.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to a medium skillet and set to medium heat. Add chicken thighs and spread evenly in the skillet. Add a dash of garlic powder to the chicken.
- Cover the chicken and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to a medium skillet and set the heat to medium. Add the fideo (vermicelli) and stir fry until golden brown.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove the cover and add the browned fideo over the chicken.
- Add one cup of frozen peas and carrots over the fideo.
- Add 1 tablespoon tomato bouillon to 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil in the microwave or in a saucepan.
- Pour the boiling bouillon over the fideo and chicken mixture. Raise the heat to medium/high and bring the whole mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Allow the fideo and chicken mixture 10 minutes to simmer and absorb the broth.
- Serve fideo in soup or chili bowls. Enjoy!
Photo Tutorial: Fideo con Pollo
What is fideo?
Fideo is a pasta, a macaroni product. According to wikipedia, fideo originated in Spain.
Vegetable additions that go great with fideo:
- corn (kernel or cob)
- peeled potato chunks
- chopped carrots
- red, yellow or green pepper
- stew meat
- chicken tenders
- cubed pork
Spices and herbs:
- Add a sprig of cilantro to the bouillon mixture for added flavor.
- Add a whole chile serrano (green chile) for flavor without the heat. (increase the spicy heat factor by chopping the pepper into the broth)
- Add a dash of ground cumin.
- Add ground pepper to taste.
Video: How to Make Fideo
All of MissOlive's Hubs are authored by, Marisa Hammond Olivares
all rights reserved