- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Beef Recipes
Ground Beef Recipes: Hamburger Pie
Ground Beef is so Versatile
Easy Recipe for Ground Beef
This easy ground beef recipe is one that brings back some old memories. This is an inexpensive and tasty recipe using almost everyone's favorite-ground beef. Finding a new ground beef recipe that is also inexpensive is often welcome in many households.
When I was married to my first husband, we had very little money to spend on food I created this hamburger dish. .We got several meals from one hamburger pie, however I had to opt for hard boiled eggs for a few dinners to really stretch the pie. I made this hamburger pie originally to save money, and now I make it because it is so good. However, I am more health conscious now and use ground turkey, brown rice and low fat cheese. You can freeze a portion of the pie for another meal. Sometimes after a busy day it is nice to come home and pull something out of the freezer that is a complete meal. Just stick it in the microwave and you will have an instant dinner.
Make a Few Changes for Healthier Fare
Ingredients for Hamburger Pie
- One pound Lean hamburger meat
- One Egg
- One-half cup Bread crumbs
- One medium Chopped onion
- one-cup Chopped green pepper
- Three cups Cooked brown rice
- One-half cup Grated cheddar cheese, to mix in the rice
- One and one-half cups Grated cheddar cheese, Cover the rice
- One tablespoon Oregano, Basil , Thyme
- One tablespoon Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Hamburger Pie
- Mix hamburger meat, egg, breadcrumbs, chopped vegetables and spices until well blended.
- Spread the mixture with your hands in a 9 or 10-inch round glass pie pan. Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese to the mixture. Don't forget to add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bake the hamburger mixture in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Pour the rice mixture in the hamburger shell.
- Cover the rice with 1.5 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 more minutes.
Hamburger Pie with Rice
Serving Ideas for Ground Beef Hamburger Pie
To serve this delicious and cheap recipe for ground beef, cut each piece of the pie ahead of time before serving. However before cutting this delicious hamburger dish, show everyone the complete pie, so they can look forward to digging in. Serve with a tossed green salad and sourdough bread and you have a complete recipe for ground beef that also freezes well, if there is anything left.
It is easy to have ground beef in the freezer. Cheddar cheese keeps for a long time. And rice in the pantry. You can make this recipe anytime with these ingredients. Try some different seasoning such as cumin, tarragon, cinnamon, curry. Get adventurous with these differetn spices.
This dish will keep in the fridge for about 3 days.