- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
How to Make Cheats Meatballs With Spaghetti: A Cheap, Quick and Easy Recipe all The Family Will Love
Make and Rate
These meatballs are so easy and so quick they'll be top of your easy dinner list. The ingredients are every day foods we have in our fridges and cupboards. Everyone and anyone can make these beauties. A great hassle free dish for busy mums and dads.
Oh! by the way this is a secret cheats recipe, so when you make these meatballs, be sure everyone knows how hard you slaved in the kitchen. As for the sauce, never mention the chicken soup powder or I might have to kill you.
You will need:
- A pack of pork sausages with added herbs or spice: I like pork and paprika; pork and sage; pork and apple; or pork and cider
- A clove of crushed garlic
- One small red pepper thinly sliced
- One small green pepper thinly sliced
- A tablespoon of chicken soup powder
- 50 ml of vermouth or apple juice
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- 150 ml of single cream
- Oil for frying
- Spaghetti to serve
- Salt and pepper to season
- Chopped flat leaf parsley to serve
*Take care when seasoning your dish as the soup powder and the sausages already have plenty of salt. Make sure you taste as you season.
Turn Your Favorite Sausages into Tasty Meatballs
Especially for The Kids
Another Easy Recipe with Sausages
- How to Make Sausage Rolls: A Deliciously Easy Recipe...
An easy recipe for succulent sausage rolls made with ready made puff pastry. Step by step with pictures. Sooo delicious, all the family will love them.
Easy Cook Pasta/Steamer Set
- Skin the sausages, and using your hands mould into even sized rounded shapes.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan.
- Fry the meatballs till golden brown, remove and leave to one side (at this point get your spaghetti cooking).
- Add the sliced peppers and crushed garlic to the deep pan, cook for a few minutes, add in the thyme sprigs.
- Pour in the vermouth/juice to deglaze the pan (deglazing simply means taking all the good bits off the bottom of the pan and into the sauce you want to create) stir and lightly simmer for a few minutes.
- Put the meatballs back into the pan.
- Place the chicken soup powder into a cup and add a little cold water, mix to make a smooth paste.
- Pour the paste into the pan, adding extra water as the paste thickens creating a wonderful creamy sauce. Once you reach a nice thick consistency, simmer for five minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cream just before you dish up and sprinkle over the parsley.
- Serve the meatballs with spaghetti (cooked according to instructions) and spoon over the sauce.
A Few Hints and Tips:
- This is a delightfully simple and deliciously tasty dish. Serve with a glass of full bodied red wine.
- A large (ish) sausage around 75 grams will make two to three meatballs. Allow six to eight meatballs per person.
- Vermouth is only 15% proof, and the alcohol is burned off in the deglazing part of the recipe, however if alcohol is a no go and you don't like apple juice, chicken stock will also work well.
- White wine is another alternative too, so don't buy a bottle of vermouth especially for this dish. If you'd like to add a bigger kick opt for a splash of brandy.
- A tomato based sauce will make a great accompaniment for these meatballs: if you have a favorite sauce buy or make it as another choice. I like them with my homemade basil and garlic tomato sauce, when time is not an issue and I can make it, if not I buy a jar.
- A white wine sauce mix will also work very well with this meatball dish. Make according to packet instructions.
Other Meatball Options
- I used spaghetti pasta with this dish simply because I like spaghetti, but any favorite family pasta shapes will work just as well.
- Don't limit yourself to one particular choice of sausage. Most sausages flavors will go down a treat especially spicy ones. I chose pork sausages for this particular dish, but beef sausages are great too. I have previously made this dish with beef and horseradish, beef and ale and lamb and rosemary sausages. Chicken lovers can use chicken flavor sausages. Chicken and smoked paprika sausages are yummy as are chicken and leek flavor. Vegetarians can use quorn sausages. There are so many flavors available these days from your local supermarket chain.
- The best thing about using sausages is you don't need to buy herbs or get messy and of course sausages are cheap to buy. This makes this recipe quick, easy and economical to make.
- If you want to, and you have time, add a good hand full of breadcrumbs to the skinless sausages and some chopped flat leaf parsley. By doing this you will add bulk to your meatballs getting more from your sausage meat. Hence more portions.
- This dish is good enough to impress everyone. Grate over some fresh parmesan cheese and snip over some fresh chives to add a restaurant look.
The perfect way to cheat when it comes to meatballs.
Hope you enjoy this meatball and spaghetti dish :)
Good Hearty Food
- Five of The Best Traditional Irish Dishes: The Ulste...
Enjoy traditional Irish dishes that grace every Irish table. From the Ulster fry to the best colcannon recipe. Hearty good food that will have you licking your lips.
© 2010 Gabriel Wilson