Cheesecake Flan Recipe
Do you love caramel flan and cheesecake?
Well here's a super simple recipe for you! It's rich and creamy as a cheesecake and has that decadent caramel sauce that all flans have. In these simple steps you can learn to make it yourself in no time! No fancy equipment or expensive ingredients needed.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tin Evaporated/Carnation Milk (12 oz)
- 1 cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tin condensed milk (14 oz)
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Wooden or metal spoon
- Baking pan (9 inch or brownie pan will work)
- Larger pan for water bath - the pan you put your flan mixture in should be able to fit inside of this larger pan
- Wire whisk
- Bowl for mixing
- Bowl for straining mixture
Tips before you start
1. Get your baking pan ready. You want you pan near you when your sugar has caramelized. The sugar starts to harden super quick when you take it off the stove, so you want to pour it into your baking baking as quickly as possible (be careful though, it's hot)
2. When making flan, never overmix
This creates air bubbles and kills that creamy smooth mouth feel. Instead, lightly stir with your whisk until everything looks incorporated then pass your mixture through a sieve - this combines everything
- Place the white sugar into a sauce pan. Stir every few seconds to prevent it from burning when it starts to melt. When it's completely melted, let it turn into a caramel brown colour, that's when its ready.
- Pour caramel into baking pan. Swirl it around to completely cover the bottom of your pan. *If the caramel hardens in your pan too quickly and you end up missing a spot that's okay! It fixes itself when it's baked.
- In a large bowl, whisk your cream cheese until smooth and softened.
- Add in your eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla and condensed milk.
- Whisk lightly until everything is combined. There'll still be some lumps- this is expected
- Place your sieve over another large bowl, then pour your mixture in. Use your whisk to help any large lumps pass through. If there's any cream cheese lumps in your mixture after this, repeat this step again
- Pour your mixture into your pan with your caramel. Now place this pan into your water bath *Preparing water bath: fill your larger pan with enough water to reach about 1/3 of the height of your pan containing your flan
- Bake at 350° until toothpick comes out clean. Baking time will vary depending on your oven (it will take approximately 1 hour)
© 2018 Yaasmeen