- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Cheesy Squash Casserole
Rate My Casserole
It's Summer Squash Season
Every summer I grow a small garden. Generally, there is an overwhelming abundance of Zucchini that, without fail, sends me into creative cooking overdrive.A person can only make so many loaves of Zucchini bread!
My dad used to say that the best way to get rid of extra zucchini is to place it in the front seat of an unsuspecting neighbor who happened to leave the car door unlocked. After all- who doesn't love a nice surprise? There's a lot to be said about finding a gift bag full zucchini in you passenger seat!
I've never actually gone as far as checking the neighborhood for unlocked vehicles, but I might be guilty of a random act of zucchini kindness here and there over the years. But, that was before I introduced this dish to our dinner table .
This recipe quickly became a family favorite at our house, and put an end to my "what to do with all that zucchini" conundrum. It can be served as a main dish (add cubed chicken if you'd like) or as a side. Either way, it is delicious!
Your Solution To The "Too Much Zucchini" Woes
- 2 lbs (about 5 medium) Yellow Squash or Zucchini, Mix 1/2 of each type of squash
- 2 medium Carrots, Grated
- 1 small Onion, Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- To taste Salt/Pepper
- 1 Stick Butter
- 8 oz package Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing Mix
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Optional
- 1 10.5 oz can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 8oz Carton Sour Cream, (you may substitute low fat for healthier option
The Final Step
- Cook squash, onions and carrots and sugar in a small amount of water until tender. Drain remaining water.
- Melt one stick butter in pan. Mix 1 8oz pkg of stuffing mix with butter, soup, sour cream and cheese. Add cooked veggies to mix. **Reserve 3/4 cup of stuffing crumbs for topping.
- Place in a 9x13 pan and sprinkle remaining 3/4c crumbs on top. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes. *Dish may be prepped the night before.