Are the Ingredients in Cheez Whiz as Healthy as Real Cheese?
Cheez Whiz is a handy cheese sauce
With the exception of Limburger cheese, I like all cheese. I have read comments that Cheez Whiz is all artificial. It is a cheese sauce and that is what it is, not meant to be cheese... but, Cheez Whiz does contain cheddar cheese!
What does cheese sauce contain?
Look up any recipe and you find grated cheese is added to a mix of milk, flour and fat in different proportions according to taste with the addition of various spices... That isn't plastic! Cheez Whiz is a great cheese flavored sauce made with cheddar cheese in Canada (can't speak for the versions from other countries)
So there you have it. I am pleased to think, one of my childhood favorites, may also be relatively healthy to eat...but let's not call it a health food just yet!
Just to make life interesting I have included a poll for all of us to determine how popular Cheez Whiz is.
It has been showing that only 25% of readers "hate" Cheez Whiz.
I say, so far most people dip into that familiar jar, once in a while ( I know I do)!
Do You Love or Hate Cheez Whiz?
Love or Hate Cheez Whiz regardless or whether it is good for you or not?
Cheez Whiz comes into its own:
- Canadian Cheez Whiz is made from real Canadian Cheddar!
- Cheez Whiz is a processed cheese sauce created in 1953 by Kraft Foods.
- Two tablespoons give you 10% of your daily intake of calcium
- Cheez Whiz has 60 to 90 calories per tablespoon depending if you get the low fat or regular
- Cheeze Whiz has 54% less fat than Kraft medium cheddar cheese
- Cheeze Whiz is the best dairy source of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA).
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)is still being studied and more research is needed to determine if the touted health benefits to humans are genuine. However, it pays to be aware of the possible health benefits and keeping up with breaking news.
So Cheez Whiz does have some advantages over cheddar cheese. Now it may not compete on flavor, but if you have to restrict cheese in your diet and you have an urge for cheese, the Canadian version is better than no cheese at all!
Quick Recipes for Cheez Whiz (recipes below)
Before we get to the ingredients list; here are some recipes for the Cheez Whiz lovers!
It appears more than half the world loves Cheez Whiz ; an additional one quarter like it now and then. Hey, that is not bad! That is three quarters of the people polled on this Hub! Wow.
So here are a few quick and simple recipes with to vary the Cheez Whiz experience!
One sure to please is grilled cheese with Campbell's tomato soup. Make soup as per instructions on the can and while it is warming make the grilled cheese...
Another treat is a sort of pizza-like treat quickly made under a broiler (less than 5 minutes)
Finally a French Canadian version made with real bacon
Three Quick Recipes:
My Favorite Grilled Cheese:
- 2 slices of white bread (whole wheat isn't as crispy)
- Cheez Whiz
Method: preheat fry pan to medium heat
- First butter the "outside" of one slice of bread with margarine.
- Place the buttered slice in a preheated fry pan "margarine side down".
- Add as much Cheez Whiz to the second slice as you like,
- Place the second slice on the first," Cheez Whiz side down".
- Spread margarine on the top slice
- Fry until golden brown and crispy all over surface.
- Flip over and fry golden brown and crispy!
Quick Cheese Whiz snacks:
Soft white buns work the best for these but white bread slices are good as well
for each bun:
- one sliced bun
- Cheez Whiz
- sliced olives (green or black)
- bacon bits
- sundried tomatoes (optional)
- Put sliced buns sliced side up under broiler or in toaster oven: crisp and brown ( this takes only seconds so watch)
- Take out buns and cool slightly
- Spread with Cheez Whiz (note a thin layer works best for crispy results)
- top with sliced olives and bacon bits
- Watch carefully once again as you broil. just enough to see the Cheez Whiz is bubbling...remove.
Yummy crisp treats ...not too bad for your figure either!
French Canadian Bacon Cheez Whiz Sandwich
- 2 slices of bacon for each sandwich (pre-fried)
- one slice of toasted white bread for each sandwich
- Cheez Whiz to taste
- Maple syrup or Pancake syrup
- Heat broiler on toaster oven or regular broiler
- Fry two strips of bacon for each slice of bread (fairly crisp but leave a little to crisp later)
- Blot excess fat off bacon between two paper towels
- Toast white bread in toaster
- Spread with Cheez Whiz as thick as you like
- top with prefried bacon strips
- drizzle with maple or pancake syrup
- Broil until Cheez Whiz begins to brown
Bet you can't just eat one...but this one has fat and calories!
Cheez Whiz ingredients create different tastes
Researching the ingredients in and reading comments, I discovered the taste is different in the States compared to Canada. There definitely is a difference in taste when one compares the ingredient lists below. I would guess, the American version is spicier and possibly sweet; while the Canadian version is milder and perhaps has a less complicated taste. I know that from my own experience, I taste cheese, very mild spice and no hint of sweetness! Cheez Whiz
Canadian Ingredients,(jar in my own cupboard) Cheez Whiz Original (75 calories per 2 Tblspn): Modified milk ingredients, cheese (modified milk ingredients, bacterial culture, salt, calcium chloride,color,rennet and or microbial enzymes) water,maltodexrin, sodium phosphates, salt,sodium alginate,ground mustard,spice, colour, sorbic acid, lactic acid
Canadian Ingredients,(jar in my own cupboard) Cheez Whiz light 36% less fat than regular Cheez Whiz: Modified milk ingredients, cheese (modified milk ingredients, bacterial culture, salt, calcium chloride, microbial enzymes, lipase) water, sodium phosphates,maltodexrin,salt, lactic acid,sodium alginate,spice, colour, sorbic acid, ground mustard
USA ingredients (from web)
Ingredients: Whey, canola oil, milk protein concentrate, maltodextrin, sodium phosphate, contains less than 2% of whey protein concentrate, salt, lactic acid, sodium alginate, mustard flour, worchestershire sauce, (vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, water, salt, caramel color, garlic powder, sugar, spices, tamarind, natural flavor), sorbic acid as a preservative, milkfat, cheese culture, oleoresin paprika (color), annatto (color), natural flavor, enzymes.
How is Cheez Whiz Made?
Below is listed the site where I came upon the information on how Cheez Whiz is made:
Now for all those that want more information visit this site:http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-10/972965117.Ch.r.html