Chettinad Spicy Potato Fry Recipe
Chettinad Spicy Potato Fry
Potatoes are one of the most versatile vegetable and favorite vegetable of many. Chettinad Spicy potato fry is one of the famous recipe from Chettinad, which is small region in the state of Tamil Nadu. This place is famous for spicy, aromatic and hot spices. This is very different and flavorful recipe which gets the flavor from spicy dry roasted Chettinad Masala. Takes very less time to prepare but very tasty and spicy.
The masala used here, called Chettinad masala is a blend of aromatic masala which can be prepared in bulk. Place this in airtight container and store in refrigerator. This saves time and you can prepare this dish in no time. The freshly ground masala gives special aroma and wonderful taste to this recipe.
In this recipe onion and potatoes are sauteed and sprinkled with prepared Chettinad masala. Lower the spice level if you are making it for kids.
- 250 grams potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 teaspoons urad dal, to prepare masala and to temper
- 2-3 dry red chilies, or as required
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corn, or as required
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1-2 onions, finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida or hing
- a spring of curry leaves
- salt according to taste
Instructions to prepare chettinad masala powder
- In a pan take 3 teaspoons of urad dal, 2-3 dry red chilies and 1 teaspoon black pepper corns. (adjust the quantity of red chilies and pepper according to your spice level).
- Dry roast all these ingredients in medium to low flame till urad dal turns golden brown in color and fragrant. Let it cool down.
- Grind these roasted ingredients to fine powder. Chettinad masala powder is ready.
Instructions for Chettinad Spicy Potato Fry
- Finely chop onions. Peel and cube potatoes. Keep it aside. (you can boil and use potatoes to save time).
- In a pan heat oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add chana dal, urad dal, hing and fresh curry leaves. Fry till chana dal and urad dal turns golden brown and curry leaves becomes crisp.
- Now add chopped onions, saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add cubed potatoes. Mix well with seasoning and onion.
- To this sprinkle prepared chettinad masala powder and salt. Stir and mix properly.
- Add 1/2 cup of water. Cook till potatoes turns soft.
- Serve hot with chapati, roti, naan etc.
Further about the Spicy Potato Fry
- This fry can be done with either baby potatoes or regular potatoes.
- You can use boiled potatoes to save cooking time.
- Chettinad masala powder can be make ahead in large quantity and stored in refrigerator. If you prepared extra also you can keep it for later use. This remains fresh for a month or more.
- Add prepared masala according to your taste and spice level.
- Color of the recipe changes with type of red chili used.
- Do not overcook potatoes. They will turn mushy.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Carbohydrates 75 g||25%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Sodium 30 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|