Chewy Fruit Roll Ups, Microwave Fruit Leather
Delicious Home Made Fruit Leather
What Is Fruit Leather?
Fruit leather is leather that has been made from fruit. It is not the kind of leather that you can make belts out of, though. It is the kind that you may eat and / or give to your kids to eat. They will absolutely love them, too BTW!
Fruit leather is also known as fruit roll ups and they can be purchased in most large supermarkets in many different countries around the globe. There is no real need to purchase fruit roll ups from the supermarket as they are super easy to make at home.
Healthy Snacks For Kids
Do have trouble trying to get your kids to eat healthy?
What You Will Need
There are many different ways to make fruit leather, almost as many as there are kinds of fruit! It really all depends on what kind of fruits you and your kids like. The process is fairly easy, too.
So, You will need - Fruit, sugar (to taste), lemon juice, water, spices (if you like them), a baking tray, microwave safe plastic wrap, and a blender or food processor to puree the fruit.
There isn't really anything else required. A food dehydrator goes a long way if you are lucky enough to have one. They can save you a lot of drying time, too.
How To Make Fruit Leather
- Choose your fruit, chop it small and place it in a pot with just a little water. You want to cook the fruit just long enough to soften it. If using berries or any other kind of soft fruit (banana's), you will not need to cook it - just mash it all up.
- Add a squirt of lemon juice or ascorbic acid. What this does is stop any discoloration of the fruit. Especially needed if you are using apples or banana's.
- Have a quick taste of your puree and if it is a little on the tangy side, add something sweet - sugar or honey works best. Just add a little at a time until you get the desired result you are looking for.
- If your mix is still a little chunky, you will need to mash it with a fork or a potato masher and or puree it in a food processor. You really want it to be smooth. Basically the smoother it is, the better the results will be.
- Line a tray with microwave safe plastic food wrap making sure that there are no wrinkles or creases, then pour your mix onto the wrap and spread it out to about 2 or 3 mm.
- Put your tray into the oven and set your oven on the lowest heat setting that it has. If you are in the USA 140F is about the lowest. If using celsius / centigrade, I think the lowest is about 70C. Either way, your oven just needs to be warm. In an oven your fruit leather will take about 3 or 4 hours to dry. It is dry when it is no longer sticky to touch and smooth on the surface.
If you don't have a microwave, you can dry your fruit leather in the sun. The good old fashioned way!!
Storing Your Fruit Leather
Fruit leather is a bit like candied fruit and will last a good while if stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
The easiest way to store your fruit leather is to roll it up with the plastic wrap so it doesn't stick to itself and then put it in an airtight container in the fridge.
It will keep in the fridge for about a month (If it lasts that long!!) or you can keep it in the freezer for about a year.
Fruit leather is really simple to make and super delicious, too. So why not enjoy making your own at home!