- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chicken Breasts in Pasta Sauce Recipe
How I Came Up With This Dish
I've named this dish Chicken Breast Surprise as I was not sure how it would turn out. Last night we'd had a pasta dish made with green peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic, hot peppers and celery. I had some of the sauce left over didn't really want to freeze it or throw it away. Using the sauce, this is the chicken dish I came up with, and it was delicious.
I'll start by giving you the recipe for the pasta sauce that I made and then used on the chicken breasts.
Making the Sauce
- In a large pot add the oil and heat on high.
- Add celery, onions, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add green pepper, garlic, and sauté for one minute.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, Cajun or hot sauce, and all the spices.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Pour over cooked pasta, and save some for this chicken breast dish.
- 2 green peppers chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced thin
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. of red pepper flakes
- 4 dashes of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Sauce
- 2 pinches of basil
- 2 pinches of oregano
- 2 pinches of thyme
- 2 Tbs. of Vegetable Oil
- 6 - 7 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2-3 Cups Pasta Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Cheese, Grated
- 2 Cups Uncooked Minute Rice
Let's Cook The Chicken Breasts
- Place oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Lightly spray an oven safe dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon pasta sauce over the top of the chicken breasts.
- While chicken is cooking prepare your rice according to package instructions.
- Place in oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Return the dish to the oven for 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve over a bed of cooked minute rice.
- One of your favorite vegetables and a side salad will complete this meal.
For spicier chicken you may want to try this chicken dish with a salsa sauce and jalapeno peppers.
Top with Monterey Jack or Colby cheese.
Serve with a side of sour cream and guacamole.
Other Chicken Recipes You May Enjoy
- Honey Garlic Chicken Made With VH Sauce
Easy to follow recipe that can be on the table in forty five minutes. Made with a honey garlic sauce making the chicken moist and flavorful.
- Recipe Chicken Breasts Breaded With Broccoli Stir Fry
Moist spicy flavorful chicken breasts that are marinated and breaded. Easy to follow recipe with Broccoli Stir Fry.
- Chicken Flamingo - My Favorite Copycat Recipe!
My husband's favorite dish is Chicken Flamingo from Pasta House. He said, "if you learn to make that - I will marry you!" I did learn to make it - and I have adapted it and perfected it. Don't forget - "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach
© 2012 Susan Zutautas