Chicken Breasts in Pasta Sauce Recipe
How I Came Up With This Dish
I've named this dish Chicken Breast Surprise as I was not sure how it would turn out. Last night we'd had a pasta dish made with green peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic, hot peppers and celery. I had some of the sauce left over didn't really want to freeze it or throw it away. Using the sauce, this is the chicken dish I came up with, and it was delicious.
I'll start by giving you the recipe for the pasta sauce that I made and then used on the chicken breasts.
Making the Sauce
- In a large pot add the oil and heat on high.
- Add celery, onions, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add green pepper, garlic, and sauté for one minute.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, Cajun or hot sauce, and all the spices.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Pour over cooked pasta, and save some for this chicken breast dish.
- 2 green peppers chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced thin
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. of red pepper flakes
- 4 dashes of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Sauce
- 2 pinches of basil
- 2 pinches of oregano
- 2 pinches of thyme
- 2 Tbs. of Vegetable Oil
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- Yields: Serves 5-6 people
- 6 - 7 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2-3 Cups Pasta Sauce
- 3/4 Cup Cheese, Grated
- 2 Cups Uncooked Minute Rice
Let's Cook The Chicken Breasts
Place oven rack in the center of the oven.
Preheat oven to 325°F
Lightly spray an an oven safe dish with vegetable cooking spray.
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the dish.
Spoon pasta sauce over the top of the chicken breasts.
While chicken is cooking prepare your rice according to package instructions.
Place in oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
Return the dish to the oven for 5-10 minutes to melt the cheese.
Serve over a bed of cooked minute rice.
Side of your favorite vegetables and a side salad will complete this meal.
For spicier chicken you may want to try this chicken dish with a salsa sauce and jalapeno peppers.
Top with Monterey Jack or Colby cheese.
Serve with a side of sour cream and guacamole.
Other Chicken Recipes You May Enjoy
- Honey Garlic Chicken Made With VH Sauce
Easy to follow recipe that can be on the table in forty five minutes. Made with a honey garlic sauce making the chicken moist and flavorful.
- Recipe Chicken Breasts Breaded With Broccoli Stir Fry
Moist spicy flavorful chicken breasts that are marinated and breaded. Easy to follow recipe with Broccoli Stir Fry.
- Chicken Flamingo - My Favorite Copycat Recipe!
My husband's favorite dish is Chicken Flamingo from Pasta House. He said, "if you learn to make that - I will marry you!" I did learn to make it - and I have adapted it and perfected it. Don't forget - "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach