- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Easy Chicken Recipe: Chicken Cacciatore Deconstructed for Lunch Box
This is an Italian Recipe. It varies with the region whether to use red or white wine. The northern part of Italy uses red wine, while the southern region uses white wine. The Italian word "cacciatore" refers to the hunter or the woodsman. In their local folk tale, whenever the hunter came home empty-handed, his wife will kill one chicken for them to have a filling meal.
My husband is in construction. His normal work days start at 7am and ends at 3pm. Meaning, he is out at lunch. Knowing his job is physically demanding, I like to feed him meals that are nutritious and also tasty. With this recipe, I sliced the chicken breasts and all other ingredients into bite-sized for ease of eating out of a lunch box and a spoon at the construction site.
4 Chicken breast halves
1 canned tomatoes -- UNDRAINED
1 can mushrooms
1 half onion – sliced cubed
1 green bell pepper – sliced cubed
3 stalks of celery – sliced
1 clove minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 Tablespoons Red Wine
2 teaspoon Cornstarch to be mixed with 4 Tablespoons of cold water
1. Rinse chicken breasts.
2. Sliced into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix 2 teaspoon Cornstarch with 4 Tablespoons of cold water and set aside.
4. Heat skillet.
5. Put in the UNDRAINED canned tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic, oregano, and Red Wine. Mix well, about 10 stirrings.
6. Then place the cubed chicken breasts on top of the mixture.
7. Bring to boil.
8. Reduce heat then cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink.
9. Stir in the cornstarch & water mixture.
10. Let cook for another 5 minutes. Stir twice.
This makes 4 servings.