Chicken & Cauliflower "Rice"
Ingredients for "rice"
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 onion, minced or diced
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN:
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into about 1 in squares
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 TBS red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp dry or dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp dry parsley
- salt & pepper, sprinkled
Turn broiler on first :) Then follow instructions...
- Place in plastic ziplock bag - all ingredients for chicken except the chicken (sprinkle the salt & pepper according to your preference), seal the bag and shake around to blend. Add the chicken chunks, seal the bag and move the chicken around to cover all the pieces with the marinade. Set aside to marinate. This step can be done hours ahead of time if preferred, and just place it in the refrigerator until needed.
- Chop/dice garlic, onion, and kale. Let them sit to pull out their full health benefits.
- While chicken is marinating and veggies are sitting, chop the cauliflower to remove stems. If you have a food processor, place the cauliflower in it and pulse until shredded like rice. You can also shred it like cheese, or use a knife and finely chop it.
- Saute the onion in about a TBS of olive oil or butter (not margarine) until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for about another minute. Add turmeric, salt & pepper and stir to combine (it may be a little "chunky"). Add cauliflower and stir until it is covered in the spices and a yellowish color. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until just tender. You can add a little more butter or oil if it gets too dry. Cauliflower has a lot of water so it shouldn't get too dry on you.
- You can do this next step while the cauliflower cooks or after it's finished, but you don't want to leave the cauliflower too long because it's easy to over cook it. Place the marinated chicken chunks on a cookie sheet (line it with aluminum foil for easier clean up) and broil for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and broil another 5 minutes.
- Add the kale to the cauliflower just as it is done (after about 5 min or so) and stir until just wilted. Plate the rice, add the chicken on top, and dig in!
- Additional options: Add chopped bell pepper Substitute any dark leafy green for kale Add hot sauce (Franks or whichever you prefer) Add rotel
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory. It has a mild taste and turns food yellow :)
Cauliflower and kale are cruciferous vegetables are known for their health-promoting sulfur compounds, which have been found to reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
A great food to add if you are looking to aid in heart health! It is an excellent source of folic acid and good source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, and omega-3 essential fatty acids. It is good fiber source also, which helps reduce cholesterol. It contains manganese with fights free-radicals (those darn things that make us "age")