Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
The first time that I had this dish called cheesy enchilada was at a "sit down", Mexican Restaurant. The second time that I had an enchilada was from the famous fast food Mexican restaurant .
You can obviously see why anyone would prefer the sit down restaurant, versus eating at the fast food chain. The service is just better and sitting down to eat, is easier than making them for your family. However, this recipe may change your mind. It is easy to prepare and it just might change your mind and it will certainly be cheaper.
There is also several different ways to serve this dish. If your guests don't like olives or onions, for instance, you can serve them on the side.
I started to think there's got to be an easy way making these at your home. That is when I stumbled upon this recipe. With a few simple ingredients that you might already have at home, you can whip this up in just a few minutes. Then just place it in the oven for an easy finish by just baking it in the oven.
On your "Mexican night" in, why not try this super simple Mexican dish?
I always use a 9" X 13" greased glass dish so, that you can see the casserole through the side of the casserole dish.
There can be several variations to this recipe if you wanted. One variation is to us to use Velveeta cheese instead of the nacho cheese soup. This recipe doesn't call for shredded cheddar cheese but, you could buy the Mexican blend at the grocery store. The only thing about using cheddar cheese to cook with, is that it is greasy. This will add a nice different flavor. Most of the time, you have a typically easy recipe, you can usually cut corners or you are able to make the dish cheaper. Some of the things we usually have on hand are: Soft taco shells, chicken or beef, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and olives. Just anything that you like on a taco.
I know that there are different degrees of hotness, when it comes to food.. Some people may choose to bake a couple of jalapeno slices on top of the enchiladas. Then there are the different sauces with all kinds of different degrees of heat. If you wanted additional heat to this recipe, you could pour just a couple of splashes of the juice from the jalapeno jar or add some jalapenos. This recipe has all kinds of different possibilities. As you can see in the pictures, to the right of the hub, you will notice that there are several different varieties of how to make these enchiladas. If you have to cut up the jalapeno by hand, please remember to be careful and not touch your eyes without washing your hands, after you have touched these peppers.
I read in a magazine at one time an easy way to make your tortillas more crispy. Brush them with some oil to make them more crispy while they are baking in the oven. Wrap the tortillas fairly tightly and place them in a greased, glass serving pan with the seam side down. Bake the tortillas with the seam side down will keep the enchiladas together when baking. It will hopefully keep all the goodness in the middle to stay inside the enchilada where we want it to be while cooking. If you don't think that the enchiladas will just stay together from wrapping them, you can secure them with a couple of toothpicks.
I hope that you enjoy this dish, it is super easy and does have that authentic Mexican flavor. I hope that you will take the time to share your Mexican inspired dishes with me as well or just leave your comments at the bottom of this hub.
Have You Ever Tried It?
Have you ever tried chicken cheese enchiladas
- 1 can (16oz) nacho cheese soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken, diced and cooked (boiled)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 (4oz) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 large can enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup black olives, optional
- 1/2 cup green olives, optional
- 1/2 cup jalapenos, optional
How to make this yummy dish
- You can cook the chicken ahead of time, if you want to but, you could boil the chicken with a package of taco seasoning. As the chicken gets more done, I would take it out of the pan and shred the chicken and boil it some more in the taco seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine the nacho cheese soup and milk and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked chicken, salsa, green chilies, chili powder and two tablespoons of the soup mixture.
- To make enchiladas, along one side of each tortilla, spread about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture. Roll up each tortilla in jelly roll style. To do this, place the seam side down in a greased 3 quart oblong dish.
- Pour the can of enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.
- Spread the remaining nacho cheese soup mixture over the enchiladas.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and bubbling. In this recipe it would be good also to substitute the ground beef for the chicken.
- This is very good with black olives, green olives, sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- To me, a cute idea, would be to serve the olives, sour cream and cheddar cheese in separate serving dishes on the table.
This is a great way to fix a meal for your family quickly while also not breaking the bank.
Also, this will not be a recipe that your kids will turn up their noses at. You could leave off the items of food that they might not like such as the beans or maybe the chives, for example.
That is why I suggest to separate all the toppings such as sour cream, chives etc., so each person can have fun in personalizing their own dish. Always with the dishes that have several different topping choices, I like to just put the different toppings in a container for each for your guests or family to get what toppings they want.
Canned Nacho Cheese Soup Nutrition Facts
|Serving size: 1/2 cup|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 10 mg||3%|
|Sodium 870 mg||36%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Served with your favorite additional toppings
A Great Family Meal
Homemade yellow Cheese Dip
Beef or Chicken
White Cheese Dip
- Homemade Red Velvet Cake
This article gives you the ingredients on how to make a great Red Velvet Cake. Ratings, cook time and instructions are listed here as well as pictures, video clips, commentary and a poll.
- Crockpot Deer Meat Recipe
This super simple recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law. This set it and forget it, recipe is good to start in the morning or at night and it's either ready for dinner or lunch the next day.
- Easy Feta Chicken Bake
This Feta Chicken is really a light meal that you could serve to your girlfriends in the summertime. This chicken will be so tender, you can cut it with a fork. The feta cheese adds a nice sharpness to the chicken. I do hope that you will try this gr
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
I hate to repeat myself but, this quick and easy to make chicken casserole can be mixed up rather quickly and then the key is to let the casserole flavors blend.
- Biscuit and Chocolate Gravy Recipe
This is truly a "southern dish" and all I can think about when I hear the word chocolate gravy is yummy!! Pictures, commentary and videos are featured in this hub.
© 2013 Buster Johnson