- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chicken Do Piaza Recipe
Chicken Do Piaza
Chicken Do Piaza goes back to Mughal era of India. How did this dish got his name no one knows but it is thought that Mulla Do Piaza ( a minister in court of Great emperor Akbar) invented it but this looks like a myth because Mulla Do piaza was not a cook. This dish has lots of onions ( piaz in Hindi) so some people think that you should double the amount of onions in it ( do = two) and some people put lots of Onions in this dish. What ever the origin of name may be but the fact is this is authentic Indian dish and is still very popular in India especially in east India like the states of West Bengal.
For serving 4
1. 1.5 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breast or thigh
2. Juice of half lemon
3. Olive oil / Sunflower oil : 5 Tsp
4. Large Onions chopped roughly : 2
5. Table Salt : 1 Tsp
6. 1 inch piece of ginger : 1
7. Yogurt / curd : 2Tsp
8. 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick halved : 1
9. Cardamom pods : 4
10. Black peppercorns : half Tsp
11. Ground turmeric : Half Tsp
12. Cloves : 4
13. Red Chilli Powder : 1 Tsp
14. Tomato Puree : 4 Tsp
15. Grounded coriander : 1 tsp
16. Garam Masala: 1 Tsp
17. Chopped Tomato: 1
18. Chopped coriander leaves : 2 Tsp
19. 150 ml water
20. Sugar : 1 Tsp
21. Shallot : 8
1. Cut the chicken pieces in 1 inch cubes
2. Add lemon juice and ½ Tsp salt
3. Rub the lemon juice and salt well in the chicken pieces
4. Cover the mixture and leave it for 30 minutes to marinate
5. Take a small pan and on a medium heat put one Tsp of oil. Now when oil is heated add to it onions and ginger and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring it occasionally. Let it cool and then add yogurt and blend it and make a puree.
6. Heat the remaining oil in a heavy based pan on low heat and add to it cinnamon sticks, cardamom, peppercorns and cloves and cook for about half a minute, stirring continuously.
7. Now to this add the puree made in step no 5 and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
8. Now add to it turmeric. Chilli powder and ground coriander for couple of minutes stirring occasionally.
9. Add tomato puree and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
10. Now add marinated chicken in it and cook it till it change its colour slightly.
11. Now add 150 ml of warm water and ½ tsp ps salt and one tsp of sugar.
12. Bring the water to boil. Lower the heat and cook for about 20 minutes.
13. Now cut the shallots in two halves.
14. Take one Tsp of oil in pan, heat it and add shallots in to it and stir fry.
15. Add garam masala to shallots and stir fry for a minute.
16. Now add this in to chicken mixture and simmer. Now add chopped coriander and chopped tomatoes and remove from heat.
17. Serve it hot with Indian bread like Nan or tandoori roti or Rice