- Food and Cooking»
- Food For Kids
Chicken Fajita Taco Bowls with Pico De Gallo--A Mexican Family Meal
Those on Hubpages that follow me know that I am always up for trying new recipes. Well, my husband came home the other night and told me about a recipe he had seen online for making taco bowls using muffin pans. So of course I googled this and found the recipe, but we love fajitas and had chicken in the house and not ground beef. So I decided to do fajitas instead of Tacos for these bowls.
Usually when I make Mexican Food, whether it be fajitas, tacos or quesadillas, my husband always makes Pico De Gallo to go with it. We happen to enjoy Pico De Gallo and the recipe I have also included here is my husband's that he has perfected himself.
So in this article, I include the recipe for the Taco Bowls (which I perfected by making sure to wet and microwave them so they will not break apart even before baking them), the fajita chicken, peppers and onions (store brand and on sale works just fine) and the Pico De Gallo too. This is truly a wonderful family mexican themed meal.
Hope you enjoy this one as much as our family did too (these were a huge hit), and yes even Lily loved these bowls too!!
- 6 - 6” Tortillas, I use Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas.
- Pam Butter Cooking Spray
- 1/2 Pound Chicken Breasts, Whatever is on sale will work just fine here.
- Packet of Fajita Seasoning, I use McCormick.
- 1 Bag Shredded Taco Cheese, Usually use whatever is on sale too!!
- 1 Sweet Onion
- 4 Vine Tomatoes
- 4 Tablespoons Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
- 1 Can Sliced Black Olives
- 1 Frozen Bag Peppers and Onion
- 1 Small Container Sour Cream, Again I use what is on sale.
Instructions To Make Fajita Bowls
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Sprinkle each tortilla lightly with water and stack them on a plate. Cover the top with a piece of paper towel and microwave the tortillas for 50 seconds or until warm. Turn two 12 cup muffin pans upside down. Mist each side of a tortilla lightly with cooking spray and center it in the space between 4 muffin cups, creating a bowl. Repeat with the 5 remaining tortillas, forming 3 bowls on each tin. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Once these are done cooking, let them stand and cool, while preparing the fajita ingredients.
Instructions to Make The Fajita Chicken
- Add two tablespoons of Olive Oil to a large skillet. (The chicken should be seasoned and refrigerated earlier with the Fajita Seasoning Packet). Add the chicken to the skillet and let the chicken cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers and onions and cook for another 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked well and the peppers and onion are slightly browned.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
Instructions to Make Pico De Gallo
- Cut the tomatoes into diced slices.
- Now dice the onion.
- Add the vinegar, water and parsley.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Serve immediately with the fajita bowls, fajita chicken/peppers and onions, cheese, olives too.
- Can also serve this with Tortilla chips as well.
Some of My Other Mexican Entree Recipes
- Healthy Children's Meal: Veggie Bean Tacos
This hub is a recipe for Veggie Bean Tacos. this recipe is both delicious and healthy too.
- Loud Quesadillas
This hub is a recipe for Quesadillas. It is a variation of a quesadilla that is a bit healthier and pretty easy to make called a Loud Quesadilla.
- Mini Mexican Pizzas--Kid Approved by "The Lily Test"
This hub article is a recipe for a simple, easy and inexpensive recipe is also kid approved by my own picky eater, Lily not quite 2 years old. The recipe is for Mini Mexican Pizzas that has been stamped with the seal of approval from my very own, Lil
About the Author
Janine is a freelance writer and mom of two. She is known for being a stay at home mom to two beautiful little girls right now. Life can totally get hectic and has learned to perfect and improvise at meal times, because of this. You can checkout her profile and more of her scrumptious recipe articles here.
Are you interested in writing for Hubpages? You can sign up today and publish your first article!
© 2012 Janine Huldie