Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
Chicken Fried Steak
Chicken Fried Steak with creamy gravy, homemade mashed potatoes, green beans, and golden brown flaky biscuits is one of the most delicious meals you could ever eat. Here we have for you one of the best chicken fried steak recipes you will ever eat.
Whether you call it country fried steak, smothered steak, or chicken fried steak one this is certain. Southerners have grown up loving this delicious comfort food. I myself just love country fried steak, green beans, homemade mashed potatoes, homemade biscuits, and green tomato apple pie for dessert. Oh and don't forget the lemonade. You can click any of those links for a delicious recipe for that item.
Glossary Of Items On This Hub Page
Cayenne pepper is a hot, pungent powder made from various ground dried chilies. It has a bright orange-red color and it is often referred to as ground red pepper. It is also very good for you.
Sea Salt is made from sea water and it has many more nutrients, vitamins, and minerals than regular table salt. It also has more flavor than table salt.
Cube Steak is a thin cut of beef taken from the top or bottom round and tenderized by pounding or scoring the surface or by running it through a butchers tenderizing machine. Without tenderizing, cube steak would be to tough to eat. Cube Steak is generally fried and smothered in gravy and simmered for extra tenderness. Add wild mushrooms to the gravy fto jazz your grave up with extra flavor.
Baking Powder is a leavening agent made of baking soda, an acid, and a starch. When mixed with a liquid, the baking powder immediately reacts with the acid and produces carbon dioxide gas bubbles that, in tun cause baked products to rise. Don't keep baking powder over six months and it must always remain tightly covered.
All About Gravy
Gravy is a sauce made from the drippings or juices left in the pan after cooking meat or chicken. The juices are usually combined with liquid, such as broth, wine, water, or milk and thickened with flour, cornstarch or other thickening agent. Gravy is often served over mashed potatoes and gravy like the recipe on this Hub Page.
If you want smooth gravy, stir the flour or cornstarch until dissolved in a small amount of cold liquid before adding it to the gravy. Then stir with a wire whisk until it thickens. You'll have perfect gravy every time.
- 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Sea Salt
- 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 4 ( 4 Ounce ) Beef Cube Steaks
- 40 Saltine Crackers, Very Well Crushed In Fine Crumbs
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour, Save Back 1/2 Cup
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder, Make Sure Its Fresh
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper, Optional
- 4 1/2 Cups Whole Milk, 4 Cups Are For Gravy
- 2 Large Eggs
- 4 Cups Vegetable Oil, For Frying Steak
Country Fried Steak
- You want to start by sprinkling your salt and pepper evenly over both sides of your cube steak and set aside.
- Now you want to combine your cracker crumbs, 1 cup of the flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and your cayenne pepper.
- Whisk together 1 1/2 cups whole milk and your eggs. You want to put your pieces of steak in the cracker crumb mixture and then back into the milk and egg mixture and then it goes back in the cracker mixture.
- Have your oil at 350 degrees and fry your steak a few pieces at a time. You can keep your steaks warm in a 200 degree oven.
- Drain all the oil out of the pan but about two tablespoons and the drippings. Whisk together the remaining flour, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 4 cups milk. Cook 10 -12 minutes until thickened. If it gets to thick add a little more milk not water. Serve over your steak and mashed potatoes.
- You can if you wish make delicious chicken fried steak by using chicken thighs instead of beef cube steak. Remove the skin and bone from each chicken thigh and beat your chicken thighs flat before breading and frying.
- If you have a problem making gravy buy a pack or two of the instant dry chicken gravy and make delicious gravy to go with your real chicken fried-chicken. try saying that fast three times.
Chicken Fried Steak is a dish that's popular in the South and Midwest. This comfort food refers to a thin, inexpensive cut of steak that has been tenderized by pounding. It's dipped into a batter of milk, egg, and seasoned flour, then deep-fried like chicken until crisp, and served with a rich and creamy country gravy.
This dish is definitely not suitable for a low-fat diet. I don't too many people worrying about it. They just don't eat as much of it as they used to. Texas is the legendary mecca for chicken fried steak fans. It is in Texas whee you will find several towns having Chicken Fried Steak Festivals. A lot of the time in Texas Chicken Fried Steak is fried and then put into the gravy and simmered a long time to further tenderize the steak. Other people make the claim that Country Style Steak came from Europe but people from Texas would fight you on that one. They say that Chicken Fried Steak and Chili were both first made by Chuck-wagon cooks out on the Texas Cattle Drives. Who knows but I don't care. I love Country Style Steak no matter where it was first cooked.