- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Chicken Leftover Recipe
Leftover Fried Chicken (without the skin) with rice and sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper in a red sauce.
What do you do with the leftover fried chicken!?
Each night my family will ask what's for dinner.
Some nights I'm so tired by the errand filled day of being on your feet all day, I just don't have it in me to cook. I love to cook, but a break from cooking is sometimes a nice treat.
When we take a break from cooking, we usually do the fast food run to Wendy's or Burger King, however sometimes we go to our local grocery store, Publix, and buy their fried chicken.
The problem with getting the fried chicken is the leftovers. No one likes to eat the breast because it's a little dry. I love having leftovers, but our son calls leftovers cardboard.
Since I don't like to waste money, we have cardboard every other night, I mean leftovers!
When I discovered this fried chicken, I just knew no one would eat it and I would have to throw it away and there goes money down the drain. So I started to think about what to do and I remember when I was a kid I used to joke about my mother making chicken recipe 101, because I too used to hate leftovers and she started to make them exciting. I decided I was going to do the same, make this leftover an exciting meal and it was a hit!
I came up with Chicken A La Nicole ;) (You can coin phrase it as your name if your family asks).
The thought behind it was inspired by my teenager who loves everyone's cooking, but I know he secretly loves my inventions.
- 4 Left Over Fried Chicken, Any fried chicken from the grocery store or your homemade fried chicken.
- 1 Onion, Slice the onion thinly to saute.
- 1 Green Pepper, Slice the green pepper thinly to saute.
- 10 Garlic Cloves, I love garlic. Use as much as you like. Slice the garlic cloves in halves.
- 1 cup Rice, 1 Cup of rice, and two cups of water.
- 1 cup Ketchup, Mix one cup of ketchup with the 2 cups of water.
- 4 cups Spring Water/Water, Set 4 cups of water aside, 2 for the rice, two for the ketchup.
- 2 tablespoons Kosher Salt, Taste and add more salt if needed.
- 2 tablespoons Ground Pepper, Taste and add more pepper if needed.
- 3 shakes Ground Ginger, 3 shakes and taste and add more if needed.
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin, Taste and add more if needed. Just don't let it over power the flavors.
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Powder, You can never have enough, but tastes and add more as needed.
- 1 teaspoon Harissa Seasoning, This is a little spicy, so add less if you don't like it too spicy.
- 1/2 stick Butter, Put 1/4 into pot for rice, the rest in the saute pan.
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Add to rice
Left over fried chicken with rice
- Take the leftover fried chicken and take the fried skin off. Even though we're taking the skin off, it's ok if you leave a piece here and there on as it will continue to add some flavor. Break the meat from the chicken off and throw the bones away. The goal is to make sure we have enough meat for our meal to find the family.
- Cook the rice first. Add the 1/4 stick of butter to the bottom of the pan, pour in 1 cup of rice, then add 2 cups of water water, add two one sliced garlic clove. Cook the rice on low, to slow cook it until it's fluffy. Usually rice takes 10 minutes to cook. I don't usually time it, I cook it on low to avoid the overflow of water that happens. I don't touch it once it's cooking. No need to place a fork to try to fluff it up. The best thing about cooking it slow is it will fluff up on it's on. Once rice is done, set aside for the completed chicken.
- Take the rest of the butter and place it in a saute pan. Place onions, green peppers, the rest of the garlic cloves in the sauté pan. Saute the onions and green peppers until the are slightly soft.
- Add all the remaining seasoning to the sauté onions, green peppers, garlic cloves, stir until mixed in.
- Add the chicken meat and mix in with the sauté. Stir the chicken into the mixture to mix all the flavors together. Cook or rather warm up the chicken with the mix for 2 minutes and then add the ketchup water mix.
- Add the ketchup and water mix. Mix all the ingredients in the pan together until it's a sauce the chicken is cooking in. This will make a nice sweet but semi spicy new chicken flavor almost like a spiced sweet tomato sauce.
- Since the chicken is already done and the saute is complete, we're basically warming up the chicken (not cooking it) on the stove top in the sauce. Once the chicken is warmed up, remove the pan from the heat.
- Place rice in the center of the plate. Add chicken and sauté directly on top of the rice, place some fresh parsley on top of the chicken and sauce and you have a nice looking gourmet leftover fried chicken (without the skin) meal.
Some nutritional facts I found.
|Calories from Fat||486|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 54 g||83%|
|Saturated fat 21 g||105%|
|Unsaturated fat 13 g|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 65 g||130%|
|Cholesterol 62 mg||21%|
|Sodium 1010 mg||42%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|