- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
Chicken Pie with Easy To Make Pastry
What to do, what to do?
Well, it's not always clear is it, what the best thing to do is? You see, I decided to make a chicken pie for family dinner tonight. Therefore, since I haven't done a Chicken Pie hub as yet, I thought I should. My chicken pie is not bad you know! However, I'm a big pastry fan as well, and realise I have not done any pastry recipes either.
So, you would think it a simple case of doing both as one hub...and I have...but not without some internal conflict over the title! It went from Easy to make shortcrust pastry for Chicken Pie, to Pastry and Chicken Pie, to Easy to make Chicken Pie with Pastry, until I went and settled for what we have: Chicken Pie with Easy To Make Pastry. I'm still not convinced!
Whichever way I look at it, I still think you'll enjoy this one. Just remember that, when it comes to the pastry, it really is the case that you can use this for most anything. The pastry for this pie is savoury; for a fruit or dessert pie, you would just add a couple of teaspoons of sugar instead. But...I get ahead of myself!
The fact of the matter is, I love pastry, I love pie, whether with chicken, beef, lamb...dare I say, even quorn. I hope you enjoy pie too, and that this easy chicken pie recipe inspires you to give it a go.
The Life of Pie: A Pictoral Journey
For the filling, you will need...
- 1 Onion
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon of Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed black pepper
For the shortcrust pastry, you will need...
- 8oz of flour (plain or self-raising)
- 100g of butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- Water (to sprinkle and mix)
Love Pastry? Check these out!
Lets start with the filling
I'm going to start with the filling for the pie, as this takes the longest to make. Also, if for some reason it is ready before your pastry, that's okay, because it will be going in the oven to cook anyway.
Right, I'm going to try to make these thesimplest instructions yet:
- Chop up your onion. It is up to you how big or small you do your pieces. I always do mine pretty fine so the kids don't know the onion is there!
- Chop up your potatoes. Put these in a pan and boil in water for about 15 minutes.
- Dice your chicken
- Heat up a tablespoon of oil in a wok (or big pan), until very hot, then fry your onion for a couple of minutes.
- Then mix in your chicken with the onion. You can turn down the heat a little.
- Now sprinkle in your Thyme, Salt and Black Pepper, and get it all mixed together.
- It should take between 5 and 10 minutes for your chicken to be properly cooked. Turn down the heat if its cooking too quickly on the outside, as you need to make sure it's cooked through to the middle.
- Your potatoes should be about ready (make sure they are). If so, drain all the water off properly using a collinder, then add them to the chicken and onion.
- Give them a careful but really good mix together. The soft edges of the potato will start to come away a little and soak up any moisture. This is good for creating a drier pie filling consistency!
- Once you're happy with the filling, transfer this to your chosen bowl or dish, spreading it evenly throughout.
...and that, folks, is stage one of the amazing and easy to make chicken pie you're creating for your family dinner!
Easy to make Shortcrust Pastry
There are few things easier than making pastry. Maybe pouring milk on cereal, but that's about it. Well, okay, not quite that easy, but close!
Again, I'm going to keep this really simple and easy to make:
- Measure out 8oz of flour and put it into a mixing bowl
- Measure out 100g of butter and put this in the mxing bowl with the flour
- Sprinkle in about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, then...mix!
- It is best to do this with (clean) hands. Just gently massage the flour and butter together. As you work it, you will notice it turns into a breadcrumb type mixture. Keep doing this until its all pretty much the same consistency. It'll probably take you 3 or 4 minutes of gentleness!
- Happy? Then mix in about 3 table spoons of water. You will find it all starts to gather nicely into a ball (or lump). Add water as you need, but only a little at a time.
- Oops! Too sticky? Just add a touch more flour to even it out. What you should now have is one big ball of pastry, ready for rolling!
- The images really speak for themselves now.
- Take out your rolling pin, spread a little flour on it, and on your rolling surface. Have your pie dish in front of you so you can see how widely spread your pastry needs to be.
- Roll, turn and nurture your pastry until your happy. Then carefully pick it up and lay it over the top of your pie dish and the filling.
- With a sharp knife, trim the excess pastry, so it's nice and neat.
- For finishing touches, and to make the pastry go a nice golden brown colour during the cooking process, gently brush the pastry with a thin coat of milk.
- Finally, you are ready to put your pie in the oven. I suggest a pre-heated oven, on about 180c, for between 20 and 30 minutes. But...keep an I on it, so as not to burn the pastry.
After this, it is all about what you choose to make to accompany the pie itself. I do hope ou enjoy it!
- How to make cheese sauce the easy way
Cauliflower cheese is a great accompaniment for any traditional roast dinner. The flavours compliment a range of meats. You can also use Leeks, Broccoli or Cauliflower - or a combination.
- How to make perfect roast potatoes
The most beautiful crispy, traditioanl Sunday Dinner, roast potatoes you can imagine. From soft and fluffy through to golden and crispy, in a few easy steps. Sunday dinner would not be the same without them.
- Very easy to make Chilli Con Carne
Chilli Con Carne is easy to make. If you're not very good at cooking, you'll easily impress by following this recipe. Also, it's a great family meal and very easy on the pocket - plenty of food, at little expense! Go for it.
- How to make Corned Beef Hash the easy way
If you want to feed the masses, easily and cheaply, then corned beef hash is perfect. This stew like hash recipie is great with Yorkshire Puddings. Budget cooking is great for the bank balance!
- How to make Shepherds Pie the easy way
Idiot proof easy Shepherds Pie recipe and can be cooked in under 30 minutes. This simple recipe is a traditional English dish. Using decent lean mince, this is truly a very tasty dish indeed.