Chicken Pulao - Quick and Easy Recipe
Rate this recipe
Chicken pulao is a delicious Pakistani main course dish which has become popular worldwide. Pulao can be prepared with a variety of meats and rice. Chicken pulao is cooked in different parts of the world with a little variation in the procedure.Today I am going to show you how to make it a comparatively easier and quicker way. There are faster ways to make pulao like on pot recipes etc but in order to get the rich flavor that is expected from this authentic dish is only possible if you make chicken stock seperately and then add it to the tarka.
Fennel seeds or saunf is available in most stores and also on amazon. This spice is knows for its amazing digestive properties as well.
- 4 cups Basmati rice
- 2 lbs Chicken pieces, without skin
- 3 tsp Salt
- 2 Whole black cardamom
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 Green cardamom, or ilachi
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 Anise seed, Baadian
- 6 cloves Garlic, or garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 small piece of Whole ginger, optional
- 1 tsp Red chilli flakes
- 4 Black pepper corns, optional
- 1 cup Plain yoghurt
- 1 cup cooking oil or ghee
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds, Also called Saunf
- Soak rice in water for about 20 minutes and drain.
- In the meantime, place the pieces of chicken in a pot and add all the whole spices, ginger,cloves of garlic and 1 tsp of salt saving 2 tsp of salt and red chilli flakes.
- Add about 8 cups of eater and let cook for 20-30 minutes on medium heat.
- To make tarka heat oil in a seperate pot and fry onions in it until they are golden brown.
- Now add a little water and stir on low heat.
- In about half an hour the stock should be ready. Turn off the stove and Remove the pieces of chicken from the stock and Add them to the pot with browned onions.
- Stir fry for few minutes now Add 2tsp of salt or more if desired. Add red chilli flakes and ginger paste.
- Beat the yoghurt and add it to pot with chicken and cook for few minutes on medium flame. ( see pictures )
- Now strain the chicken stock to remove the whole spices and add it to the cooking mixture.
- When the mixture comes to boil add the rice and let cook. in few minutes water will be soaked up. Now cover the pot and turn the heat to lowest setting for another five minutes.
- After about five to seven minutes turn off the stove but do not open the lid for another ten minutes to let rice cook thoroughly in the heat they retained and spices leave their aroma.
- After about ten minutes of turning off the stove remove the lid and dish out rice and serve with raita or chutney and salad.
- For making raita you will need another cup of yoghurt. Beat the yoghurt with a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Add some cumin seeds and crushed cilantro leaves or parsley flakes. Serve with chicken pulao.