- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Chicken, Rice and Salsa Bake
How do you like this recipe for chicken, rice and salsa bake?
Chicken, Rice and Taco Bake
This recipe started on a cold, fall night after a long, hard day. My husband was recovering from surgery, I got home late from work, the dog had to be taken out, my kids were both screaming for dinner, and I was tired. I opened the pantry door to discover I had almost no groceries. I pulled out a recipe for chicken taco casserole and realized I didn't have what I needed to make it. My heart sank. It looked like it would be yet another night of delivery pizza, and we were all sick and tired of pizza. Then I decided I would throw a few things together and create my own chicken taco casserole dish. I gathered up what I could from my kitchen and got to work.
A short while later, I pulled my concoction out of the oven. It smelled good, but I wasn't sure if it would pass the taste test with my family. I served up the dish to my husband and kids, and half an hour later, I concluded that it was a hit. I wrote down the ingredients while they were fresh in my mind and the rest is history. This recipe is now a family favorite.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Enjoy!
The finished product!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 1/3 cups plain, white rice
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 15-ounce jar salsa
- 1 8-ounce carton plain, Greek yogurt
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
How to make chicken, rice and salsa bake.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cook the diced chicken breast, cumin and chili powder in a large saute pan until no longer pink.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook rice according to package directions.
- Mix together the soup, yogurt and salsa.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Layer half of the rice, half of the chicken, half of the soup mixture and half of the cheese in the baking dish. Repeat these layers in the same order.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Serve in warm tortilla shells, over crushed tortilla chips, or plain.
Nutritional Info for Chicken, Rice and Salsa Bake
|Serving size: 1 serving (1/8 of recipe)|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 35 g||12%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Protein 30 g||60%|
|Sodium 811 mg||34%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Start this recipe by frying the chicken in a pan until it's no longer pink. I add cumin and chili powder, as noted in the ingredients above. If you prefer other spices, you can alter the ingredients to your liking.
While the chicken is cooking, cook the rice according to the package directions. With instant white rice, it doesn't take long to cook. The rice can sit until you are ready for it.
Next, mix together the soup, yogurt and salsa. I like to use Greek yogurt in this recipe because it makes this mixture creamy and gives it a great flavor without a lot of calories.
Finally, layer your ingredients into a greased 9 x 13 pan. I prefer to use glass pans because I think they cook better and are easier to clean, but you can use a cake pan if you prefer it. Layer half of the rice, chicken, soup mixture and cheese, in that order. Repeat the layers and the dish is ready for the oven. It may not seem like you have added much to the pan, but I find that it's plenty in the finished dish.
Finally, pop this in the oven. The ingredients are essentially ready to eat when they are assembled, so you're putting this in the oven to heat the ingredients through and melt the cheese. I find that 30 minutes is enough to accomplish this, although you can adjust the time to your liking.
Different Ways to Eat This Dish
There are several ways you can serve this dish, depending on your own tastes. Here are a few ideas:
- Put it in warm tortillas for soft tacos with a creamy filling.
- Put it in hard taco shells for crunch tacos.
- Take a handful of tortilla chips or Doritos and crush them. Layer the dish on top of them for a walking taco.
- Spread out nacho chips on a plate and top them with this dish for a nacho topping. You can add fresh toppings, too, like jalapenos, olives and green onions.