Best Chicken Soup Recipes: Quick And Easy Chicken Soup With Orzo Recipe
Chicken Soup with Orzo
As so often happens to me, necessity is usually the mother of invention. I was going to fire up a pot of chicken soup the other night after a rainy and cold blustery day and discovered that I was missing one ingredient – yolkless egg noodles which I love to have for my homemade chicken soup.
I always think of these moments of my forgetfulness to add things to the grocery list as being my 'creative spurs' so went back to the cupboards and decided to see what else I could substitute. Lo and behold, I think I hit on a winner although there are many substitutions I could have made as well (see below).
Orzo is the ingredient used in risotto dishes which I love to make but figured since it was a 'fat rice' it probably would do just fine in a soup – and luckily it performed great.
Serves many - makes 1 delicious pot of soup!
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 4-5 carrots peeled, sliced
- 4-5 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup orzo (risotto rice)
- 3 quarts of chicken broth or equivalent water plus bouillon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Herbs such as marjoram, thyme, basil, sage, tarragon to taste
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- Spray 3-quart or so dutch oven or soup pan with olive oil spray or couple teaspoons of olive oil. Add chopped onion, celery and garlic – cook about 5 minutes or until softening.
- Add a bit more spray or olive oil and add chicken – saute until brown on one side, turn and brown a bit on the other side. Chicken will not be cooked through at this point – just browned.
- Add broth and then add in carrots. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 cups of water or broth in another saucepan and once the water or broth is boiling, add the orzo and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Drain the orzo and add to the chicken soup.
SUBSTITUTIONS OR IDEAS
- Turkey instead of chicken – turkey cutlets work great or part of a turkey breast cut up
- Mushroom broth or vegetable broth can be substituted
- Low sodium broths - I use for all our soups
- Frozen cubes of homemade chicken broth - I had stored in the freezer
- For an interesting taste, you can also add a bit of tomato sauce or tomato paste to the water that the orzo is cooking in instead of broth – or use mushroom broth to cook the orzo in instead
- I generally throw in frozen spinach to any soup that I make but did not have any this particular time
- Add fresh spinach
- Add corn or peas to the soup
- Substitute wild rice or brown rice partially cooked to the soup instead of the orzo
- Add broken spaghetti noodles to the soup for an interesting change – just make sure you do not overcook or the noodles will become mushy
- Add mushrooms of any kind to the soup
- Add small tortellinis to the soup for an interesting change and a very satisfying meal
Serve the soup with a loaf of French bread, biscuits or English muffins and a green or Caesar salad.
More Great Recipes by this Author and Others
- French Bread Made Easy
Making bread is not that difficult to do from scratch. I know a lot of people think that there is a science to it but I can honestly say the only science to it is being able to get the temperature right! ...
- Wheat French Bread Recipe
I recently did a recipe on French bread but I have since adapted that and this is the recipe I am sticking to as I love being able to combine whole wheat flour with it. I had to tweak it a bit from the...
- Buttermilk Biscuits - My Favorite Recipe
The Best Light Recipe cookbook from Cook's Illustrated has done it again! I have tried biscuit recipes from every source and this is by far my favorite. It is a bit unconventional but well worth the effort,...
- Southern Cuisine: Buttermilk Biscuit Secrets
I come from a long family of biscuit cooks and biscuit eaters. My grandfather liked the tasty bread so much that he had my grandmother make a big pan with almost every meal. He always said there was no such...
- Easy Chicken Soup Recipe
This is a really easy Chicken Soup recipe to make from scratch. It's very cheap to make, sufficiently filling and It tastes delicious too! Some people would also consider this dish to be medicinal, I sure do....
- Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Canned - Healt...
Ask Susan Peters - Chicken Soup Healthy Pet Foods?Diamond Pet Foods has done a poor job of making healthy pet foods. Healthy pet foods do not include needless grains and other pet health damaging ingredients. ...
- A Cheater's Guide to Making Chicken Soup from Scratc...
Chicken soup is not only good for the soul, it is very easy on the pocketbook. With a little bit of practice you can feed even a large family for very little money. You may be surprised at how easy it is to...
- Home Made Chicken Soup Will Cure Almost Anything
In most parts of the world, this recipe for Chicken Soup is definitely a cure for the common cold. Pair this with Maddie's suggestion of aromatherapy and you'll be back on your feet in no time at all. ...
- Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Senior Dog For...
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Senior Dog Formula Animal Digest - 1 point possible Plus 1 point = No animal Digest Corn - 2 points possible Plus 2 points = no corn Wheat - 2 points possible Plus 2...
- Hot and Sour Thai Chicken Soup. An Easy 15 Minute Sp...
A very easy 15 minute spicy Thai recipe for sour chicken soup. You can make this from scratch at home in a few minutes!
- The 'Better than Chicken Soup' Soup Recipe
Chicken soup really does contain nutrients that help your body recover from and fight off a cold, but it is not the only option you have. You can easily make an immune-boosting soup that is even better than...