Chicken Sweet Corn Soup - A Delicious Indo-Chinese Soup Recipe
Chicken Sweet Corn Soup
Chicken Sweet Corn Soup is a terrific and hugely popular Indo-Chinese dish available through most Chinese restaurants and otherwise. The combination of the chicken and corn is just so natural and goes real well with carrots and beans, while you certainly cannot do without the spring onions for this soup.
I have used chicken with bones to get more flavor out of the bone marrow, and for corn, I have chosen cream style corn, which anyways is traditionally used for this dish, not to mention, the richness it adds to the soup itself. The corns themselves are sweeter than the regular corns and hence define the soup succinctly. Veggies like carrots, beans and spring onions add the extra dimension and enhance the flavor wonderfully.
So, here's the recipe for this superbly flavorful soup dish.
- 100 gms (or 3.5 oz) can of cream style corn
- 200 gms chicken (with bones)
- 2 eggs
- 2 sprigs of spring onions
- 2 french beans
- 1 small carrot
- 3 tbsp butter
- Salt (according to taste)
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch of ajinomoto (optional)
1. Cut the carrot, french beans and the green part of the spring onion finely.
2. Cut the bulb (white portion at the bottom) of spring onions finely.
3. Steam the veggies (excepting the green part of the spring onions) in a pressure cooker in a cup of water for 2 minutes after the pressure comes. Remove from the cooker and keep aside.
3. Boil the chicken with 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 5 minutes after the pressure comes. Remove from the cooker, separate the chicken pieces from the stock and de-bone them, Shred the chicken and put them back in the stock.
4. Mix the corn starch in a fourth cup of water.
5. Separate the yolk of the eggs from the whites as we're gonna use only the whites for our soup.
Instructions for cooking
1. Heat the butter in a pan. Add the vegetables with it's stock and the chicken with it's stock.
2. When it starts to boil, add corn starch to it.
3. Now, add the creamed corn, salt, sugar and ajinomoto to it.
4. Let it boil for 5 minutes, then add the egg whites and stir continuously for 2 to 3 minutes to avoid the formation of lumps. You will also notice the egg whites turning into shreds as desired.
5. Then, add the green part of the spring onions boil for a couple of minutes. Switch off the flame.
Note: If it gets too thick in texture, add a little water to make sure it's of the needed soup consistency.
6. Your delicious Chicken Sweet Corn Soup is ready.
This is a recipe that will match any Chicken Sweet Corn Soup you've had in restaurants. As an option, you may serve it with some ground pepper (or pepper powder) sprinkled over your soup. You may also add vinegar, soya or chilli sauce into the soup if you so wish. I absolutely adore this dish and it goes magnificently with any noodles - it's just so traditional to have it with noodles. It's also very satisfying to make this at home (despite the prevalence of instant soups in the market) and have it turn out so good,
So, give this a whirl and you love it, and enjoy.