- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chicken Tamale Pie
This is my take on my father’s recipe. The name is misleading; there are no tamales and there is no pie. This would be better known as Mexican Lasagna made in a pot. My version is a little healthier because I use chicken instead of ground beef, whole wheat tortillas and less tomato sauce, so there is less fat and more vegetables and chilies.
This is simple to make and goes great served with sour cream, guacamole, and Pico de Gallo.
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion
2 cans diced black olives
4-6 whole wheat or corn tortillas
4-6 cups shredded chesses (sharp cheddar, pepper jack or a variety of Mexican cheeses.)
2 packets of chicken taco seasoning
½ to 1 cup of water
3 green, red, yellow or orange bell peppers (or one of each)
1 28 ounce can of tomato sauce (NOT spaghetti sauce, just plain tomato sauce)
Olive oil cooking spray
1. Bake the chicken breast (no seasoning, just a little oil on the bottom of the pan) in a 350 degree f oven for 45 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes. With two forks shred the chicken. Place chicken, water and taco seasoning in a skillet and simmer until ingredients are well incorporated, about 5 minutes.
2. Spray olive oil into a large cooking pot or Dutch oven, place one tortilla on the bottom.
3. Spread ¼ of the shredded chicken
4. Spread ¼ cheese
5. Spread ¼ onions
6. Spread ¼ peppers
7. Spread ¼ tomato sauce
8. Spread ¼ olives
9. Repeat these steps until ingredients are used (this is similar to a lasagna)
10. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree f oven for 20-30 minutes, until chesse is baked golden.
11. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving