- Food and Cooking
Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
My Quick and Easy Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
I lived as a single person for many years and developed a love of homemade soups during that time. Although I didn't want to spend hours in the kitchen cooking, canned soups and mixes weren't satisfying. Despite a bit of extra effort to cook my own, I wanted to avoid the high salt content of soups bought off the shelf and to get the flavor boost that fresher contents could bring.
Although beef vegetable soup is what I grew up with, it's the chicken variety that I grew to love later. The chicken vegetable soup recipe that I share here is one that I developed based on things I learned from other recipes over the years. I've made the quantities large enough to serve at least 3-4 people; for singles there will simply be leftovers.
I enjoy this soup both with chicken and without; as a simple meatless vegetable soup.With the chicken it's hearty, without it's an extremely quick and easy vegetable soup recipe. I hope you'll give it a try to let me know what you think.
What You'll Need
This chicken vegetable soup recipe requires just a little chopping and very few tools.
The list of tools you'll need is brief:
- A vegetable peeler and knife
- A cutting board
- A 2 quart saucepan or pot
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled, and diced
- 2 medium-sized russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced or 1/3 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3/4 cup either peas, green beans, or baby lima beans (frozen or fresh)
- 3/4 cup corn (frozen or fresh) or diced yellow pepper
- 1 Tablespoon thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 32 to 38 ounces chicken stock
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- salt, pepper, and parsley
- 1/2 chicken breast, poached, shredded (optional)
Chicken can be poached by simmering water in a saucepan, adding chicken assuring it's covered by the simmering water, and allowing to sit for 15 minutes. However, if you're a cook with very limited time, just buy a rotisserie chicken at the store and tear off the meat in small pieces to make your soup.
Putting It Together
This is quick and easy.
- Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan.
- Add onion and celery; sauté over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes to soften.
- Add flour and stir, cooking for about one minute.
- Add chicken stock gradually while stirring.
- Add vegetables and thyme; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for approximately 25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting, add in shredded chicken at this point (if using), stir in cream, season with salt and pepper to taste and allow to heat through for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Serve, and garnish with chopped parsley.
What to Serve with Chicken Vegetable Soup
This soup can be served as part of a meal (usually without the chicken) or as the main course of a lighter meal. I typically eat mine for lunch and simply have it with one of the following:
- Buttery crackers
- Crusty Bread
- Small Caesar side salad or another basic green salad
- A simple sandwich (or half sandwich) such as a BLT, grilled cheese, etc.
If You Tried This Recipe, Rate It
© 2009 Christine Mulberry