Chicken With Mushrooms and Onions - Low Carbs Recipe
Easy and Tasty Recipe
This is an easy and tasty recipe that I make often, and each time I get great feedback from my family and guests.
The mushrooms and the onions work well together, and during the cooking process the onions are likely to caramelize a little, adding an extra "yumminess" to the dish.
You Can Use Any Part of the Chicken Or Other Meat
I love to use boneless skinless chicken thighs, but the first times I cooked this dish I was using regular chicken thighs and it was very delicious. However, the boneless meat cooks faster and the flavor penetrates deeper in the meat.
I personally prefer dark meat, but you can make this recipe with white meat as well as chicken wings.
If you don't want to use chicken, it is very good with pork and turkey too. I bet it's good with veggie meat as well, but I honestly never tried.
- 12 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, Cut in big pieces
- 16 oz Canned Mushrooms, Stems and Pieces
- 1 medium Onion, Minced
- 4 Cloves of garlic, Minced
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Chicken Bouillon, Granular
- 10 springs Fresh Parsley
- 1/2 cup White wine
- In a big pan, heat the EVOO with the minced onion and garlic. Let simmer on medium/high heat until small bubbles form.
- Open the mushroom cans, and pour the mushrooms in a colander. Rinse them under running water. This eliminates any "metallic" after taste that some canned mushroom may have. Then pour them in the hot pan and let simmer for about eight minutes.
- In the meanwhile, rinse the boneless skinless chicken thighs and cut each into three pieces. Add them to the pan and stir. Let cook for five minutes.
- Stir once more and add salt and black pepper to taste. Add also the bouillon, and if you like a little cinnamon.
- Sprinkle with white wine, about 1/2 cup of it. Stir everything so the ingredients spread nicely and let cook on medium high heat for about 30 minutes.
- Since a lot of juice tend to form, you can keep uncovered or leave a little gap on the cover. Stir every 10-15 minutes to guarantee consistent cooking.
- Sprinkle with fresh minced parsley and serve hot.
You can use fresh mushrooms
If preferred, you can substitute the canned mushrooms with fresh mushrooms.
In this case I usually quickly rinse the fresh mushrooms under cool running water, slice them up, and saute' them on the side with some EVOO, garlic, salt, and parsley.
I add them to the onion and garlic for the Chicken With Mushrooms and Onions dish when they are already pre-cooked.
Low Caloric and Low Carbs Dish
A good serving size of chicken, mushrooms and onions will provide only 233 calories and 6 grams of carbohydrates.
Since this recipe serves six, a serving size includes two chicken thighs and some of the veggies.
I like to have a fresh salad on the side and some whole grain bread, which will bring up the calories and carbs, but not too much.
In a 2000 calories a day diet, this is a good meal, and you can add a dessert to it too without feeling too guilty.
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 11 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 18 g||36%|
|Cholesterol 68 mg||23%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More Nutrition Facts
Percentage Daily Value
© 2012 Robie Benve