Easy Chicken Bacon & Bean Stew Recipe
This is a family, winter favorite. As the cold weather sets in so does our craving for warming, comforting stews. This healthy, hearty stew recipe cures that craving.
The caramelized onions and bacon add so much flavor to this dish. I use the same bacon, onion saute method when making potato soup. The aroma in itself is mouth watering.
I have used Morton’s Natures Season’s, seasoning blend for years. It's blend of onion, garlic, salt, pepper and other natural spices brings out the flavor of fresh, lighter foods without overpowering them.
Chicken Bacon And White Bean Stew
This satisfying, rustic stew makes a terrific meal along with some crusty buttered bread and a leafy green salad. This stew is so easy and flavorful that it would make a wonderful quick week night meal.
- White beans, also known as white navy beans, offer many health benefits. They are loaded with antioxidants and supply a good amount of detoxifying molybdenum. They are also a great source of fiber and protein and rank low on the glycemic index. White beans also deliver a good source of magnesium, a mineral with many health benefits.
- Swiss chard is a powerhouse of nutrition. It is an excellent choice for vitamins A, K and C as well as a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron and dietary fiber. One cup of chopped Swiss chard has only 35 calories and provides more than 300% of the daily value of vitamin K.
Chicken Bacon and White Bean Stew Recipe
3 medium size potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups baby carrots, cut in half
4 cups of chicken broth
4 slices bacon, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 whole roasted chicken, skin removed, de-boned and shredded
1 15 oz can white beans, rinsed
1 pound Swiss chard, ribs and stems removed, cut into ribbons
Morton’s Nature’s Seasons (seasoning)
→ To save time (and money) roast the whole chicken in a crock pot, a day ahead. There is a link attached below with easy instructions on how to roast the chicken in the crockpot.
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven add chicken broth, potatoes and carrots. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a separate pan, cook the bacon over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the onion to the pan and sauté, until onions are softened and lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes, set aside.
- Next add shredded chicken, white beans and chard to simmering pot. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the bacon and sautéed onions to pot and continue simmering 5 minutes. Season to taste with Morton’s Nature’s Seasons, seasoning and pepper.
How to roast a chicken in a crock pot:
- How To Roast A Chicken In The Crockpot | LIVESTRONG.COM
How To Roast A Chicken In The Crockpot. The smell of a roasting chicken wafting through the home is enough to gravitate anyone towards the kitchen. Chicken is a healthy meat to eat, being high in protein, potassium and phosphorus. It also has moderat