- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chicken and Chick Pea Curry
When the mid week meal is coming and you don't know what to do, and you want something a bit different from the usual, this quick and easy curry may be the answer. It's just a matter of chopping an onion, a few chillies, measuring out a few spices, using tinned tomatoes and chick peas, and some good chicken from the butcher (or freezer), simple. I hope you enjoy this one.
- 2 -3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 8 Chicken Thighs
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 cloves of Garlic, Crushed
- 2 fresh Green Chillies, Seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp Tumeric
- 2 tsp ground Coriander Seeds
- 2 tsp ground Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp garam Masala
- 2 -3 tbsp fresh Mint, Chopped
- 400 gram tin of Tomatoes
- 150 ml of Water
- 400 gram tin of Chick Peas, Drained and rinsed
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy based pan and cook the chicken until it is lightly golden. Remove the chicken and place on a plate to the side.
- Add the onion, garlic, chilli and dry spices to the pan and cook gently, stirring frequently until the onion is soft and the spices are fragrant.
- Now stir in the tomatoes, chick peas, mint and water. Mix well and then return the chicken to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with a tight fitting lid and let simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve while hot with Basmati rice and garnished with fresh coriander leaves and naan or roti bread on the side.