Chicken, Mushroom and Vegetable Pie Recipe
Chicken and Mushroom Pie
Chicken and mushroom is a delicious ingredients combination but it may seem more familiar to many people as a pizza topping rather than the filling in a pie. This recipe sees the chicken and mushroom incorporated in chicken broth in the pie filling but they are also very often stirred through a simple bechamel sauce for a creamier - if more calorie laden - effect. You may also choose to use this recipe to prepare a number of individual pies which are plated still in their baking dish. The pie is served here with pan roasted potatoes and Brussels sprouts but these items can be substituted for any others of your particular preference.
How to Make a Chicken and Mushroom Pie
- Prep time: 2 hours 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour 45 min
- Ready in: 4 hours 15 min
- Yields: 2 large servings
- 1 small chicken, 2 or 3lb in weight
- 1 small white onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium carrots, washed and roughly chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 12 small button mushrooms
- 1 small carrot, scraped and diced
- 2 tbsp frozen peas
- 1/2lb pre-rolled puff pastry
- 12 (or as required) baby new potatoes
- 10 (or as required) Brussels sprouts
- Beaten egg for glazing
InstructionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Guide to Making a Chicken and Mushroom Pie
- Wash the chicken and lay it breasts side up in a large soup or stock pot. Add the chopped vegetables, salt and peppercorns with enough cold water to cover the chicken. Bring the water to a simmer, cover and cook for one hour. Turn off the heat and leave to cool for two hours.
- Put the potatoes unpeeled in to a pot of lightly salted cold water. Bring to a simmer for twenty-five minutes. Drain, return to the pot, cover and leave to cool.
- Use a couple of large slotted spoons to lift the chicken from the poaching liquid. Discard the vegetable pieces from the stock and strain through a sieve lined with kitchen paper to form a clear broth.
- Add the diced carrot to a pot of salted water and bring to a simmer for ten minutes. Put the peas in to the pot for the final three minutes. Drain and leave to cool.
- Put your oven on to preheat to 400F/200C. Chop the chicken in to leg and breast portions. Pick the meat from the bones in large flakes and place in a mixing bowl with the mushrooms, carrot and peas. Stir to combine before spreading in the base of a pie dish. Spoon in enough of the broth to almost but not quite cover the chicken and mushroom mix.
- Lay the pastry on top of the pie dish and cut to size. Tuck it in gently around the edges. Glaze with beaten egg and cut a steam vent in the centre. Bake for forty to forty-five minutes until the pastry is risen and golden. Remove from the oven and rest for ten to fifteen minutes while you roast the potatoes and prepare the sprouts.
- Cut any excess stalk from the sprouts and simmer in salted water for ten to twelve minutes. Drain through a colander. Peel the potatoes with your fingers and deep fry in hot oil for six or seven minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Cut the pie pastry in to portions and lift on to a holding plate. Plate the filling with a slotted spoon and lay the pastry on top. Arrange the sprouts and potatoes alongside.