- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chicken and Rice Recipe: Good Comfort Food
I love comfort food and this is a family favorite. I use it often at potlucks and when taking a meal to a sick friend. It's so easy make, and you can be as creative as you want to be by adding other ingredients you may enjoy.
I will give an alternate for the cream of chicken soup if you are looking to cut calories and fat.
- 6 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, whole or cut up
- 1 cup white rice, (you can also use brown rice, or coucous
- 1 can Cream of Chicken or Mushroom, or Creamy Chicken Mushroom soup
- 1 can mushrooms, or you can use fresh sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- Alternate to soup
- 1 cup regular or low sodium chicken broth
- corn starch, as directed on package
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Wash and pat dry with paper towel chicken pieces. Set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions. You may substitute with another rice if you prefer.
- While rice is cooking, saute onion and celery in 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil.
- Add mushrooms to the saute when onion and celery are nearly done. Set aside.
- When rice is done, pour into greased casserole dish.
- Add sauteed veggies and peas and mix. If you have decided to cut chicken into small pieces, you may add those now. If whole, wait.
- Mix soup and water, pour 3/4 of it over rice and veggie mixture. * If you are using broth corn starch mixture, mix in white pepper and pour that over rice and veggies.
- Place whole chicken thighs (if you've chosen not to cut them up) on top of rice mixture.
- Pour remaining soup/water or broth/corn starch mixture over chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees.