Chicken cider pie
Chicken Cider Pie
This pie is a great delicious dinner pie with great flavor.Chicken pie goes really well with mash potatoes and fresh vegetables.The pie crust can be hand made which i have below or you can buy pie crust all ready done in the freezer section in the grocery store.Enjoy!!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cubed
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 1/2 tbls flour
- 2 cups cider
- 1 tsp french mustard
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 2 medium pie crust
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 tbls water, beat with the egg
- Preheat the oven at 300 degress
- Heat oil in the pan.
- Saute your onions and chicken until the chicken is well browned on all sides of the chicken.
- Add carrots, coriander and sage.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute
- Slowly add the cider,stirring constantly with a whisk so you don't get lumps in the mixture.
- Add french mustard or if you would rather have Dijon mustard you can use instead.
- add the lemon juice,salt and pepper to taste.Cover the pot and let simmer for about 30 minutes over a medium low heat stirring every so often to it don't stick to the pan.
- Add mushrooms and half & half cook for 10 minutes more.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly add one pie crust to the bottom of your pan and add the mixture to your pie crust then cover with the second crust with holes add to the top.
- Brush the top with the egg and water mixture.
- Add to oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
You will need:3 1/4 cups flour,1 teaspoon salt,1 1/3 cups of shortening and 4 to 5 tablespoons if ice water.
Combine the flour and salt together in a bowl.Add the shortening and use your hands or use a pastry blender until the mixture looks like crumbs.Add the water slowly by adding one tablespoon at a time and working it in with your hands once you get a smooth ball stop adding water.Once you get a smooth ball of dough wrap it in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.When ready for the dough lightly dust the service with flour,cut the dough in two and roll each crust out about 1/8 inch thick.Makes 9 inch pan crust.