- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chicken in the Nest Chicken Casserole Recipe
Chicken in the Nest Recipe
Chicken in the Nest Ratings
A Hearty Dinner to Cook with Kids
Cooking with kids is always a great activity, and becomes even more meaningful when sharing old recipes from the family cookbook. My husband's family frequently made "chicken in the nest" for winter meals. This chicken casserole features a stuffing "nest" surrounding a creamy chicken sauce containing carrots, peas, and chicken.
Perfect for a cold night, this dinner is wonderful when it is piping hot. If you desire, you can replace the boxed stuffing mix with stuffing made from scratch - to save a little time, I simply use a box of stuffing mix from the store to form the bowl. Everything else, of course, is made from scratch.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1" cubes
- 2/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion, optional
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 package stuffing mix, prepared
Chicken in the Nest Preparation PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
Chicken in the Nest Preparation
- Cook chicken according to your favorite method (I usually use 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts). In general, I boil our chicken breasts as it is fast and efficient for use in this recipe.
- Cut the chicken into 1" cubes and refrigerate. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the stuffing mix according to package instructions. When cool, press the stuffing mix into a casserole dish to form a "nest."
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or deep skillet. Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken broth to the flour/butter mixture and stir over heat until thickened.
- Add the sage, thyme, green onions (if using), chicken, shredded carrots, and peas. Stir to combine.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the stuffing nest. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly.