Homemade Gift: Chili Pepper Garlic Flavored Olive Oil
There are so many festivals, anniversary and celebrations through out the year, which makes it extremely difficult to get something as a gift for someone. Sometimes homemade gifts offer a warm alternative to anything that you can buy from any shops. It’s sweet, inexpensive and very personal.
Below is the recipe of making your own flavored Chili Pepper Garlic Extra-virgin Olive Oil.
- 2 red chili pepper (1 left un-cut)
- 2 gloves garlic (Skin on)
- 225ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 nice bottle (for 250ml) with a closure
- 1 ribbon (For decoration)
- Buy a bottle or re-use any bottles that you have. One tip: since you have to pop the garlic and chili in, make sure the opening of the bottle is wide enough!
- Sterilize the bottle. This can be done easily by boiling the bottle in hot water for 10 minutes.
- When bottle is ready, put 1 whole chili pepper and the garlics in the bottle.
- Cut another chili pepper into half and add them in the bottle. Remove the seeds if you are looking for milder taste.
- Pour the oil into the bottle.
- Shut the bottle carefully.
- Decorate the bottle with whatever you want. You might want to attach a card or small note for the receiver of the bottle about the expiry date of the oil.
Bottle with Stopper
1. Make this 1-2 weeks in advance before giving it away ensuring the fragrance can already come through.
2. The oil is delicious to go with pasta, salad, focaccia or any other food that you can think of!
3. You can also use other fragrant herbs like rosemary, oregano or thyme to make your own version of flavored olive oil.
Hope you and your gift receiver would enjoy it!