- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Chinese Baked Barbecued Pork Buns Recipe
If you are familiar with dim sum, you may know how delicious Chinese pork buns are. Pork buns can be steamed or baked. Char siu bao is steamed bun with bbq pork filling. The baked version is baked barbecued pork buns that you will love. It's soft, very tender, slightly sweet, and rich bun. The filling is made of Chinese bbq pork, onion and seasoned with oyster sauce. It's sweet and savory with intense pork flavors.
Traditionally, baked barbecued pork buns are served in dim sum restaurant or Chinese bakery. This golden baked buns are a must order food whenever you visit dim sum restaurant. But if you would like to make this luscious bun at home, here is the recipe. Baked berbecued pork bun is great for snack or serve it with a light soup.
What You Need
Serves 4 - 8
2 cups Chinese bbq pork (char siu), diced
1/2 onion, minced
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp ketchup
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cornstarch
1/3 cup warm water
2/3 cup milk
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp cooking oil
3 tbsp water
1 egg, lightly beaten
16 pieces parchment papers, 4-inch squares
How to Fix
- In a small bowl combine oyster sauce, sugar, soy, sauce, ketchup, sesame oil and cornstarch. Stir to mix. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add oil and onion. Stir-fry for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add bbq pork, stir for few seconds. Add oyster sauce seasoning. Stir to combine for 15 seconds or until the sauce is thickened. Transfer to a dish. Let it cool.
- Dissolve sugar and dry yeast in warm water. Mix gently and let stand for 10 - 15 minutes or until the mixture foams.
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl. Add oil, half of the beaten egg, milk and yeast water. Mix to form a rough dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work area then knead until smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough in the greased large bowl. Cover with damp cloth. Let it rest about 3 hours or until tripled in volume.
- Return the dough to a lightly flour work surface. Roll into a long roll about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces. Cover the unused dough with damp cloth while working with one dough at a time. Use your fingers and hand to flatten the dough into a 3-inch disc.
- Put a teaspoon of the filling in the center of the dough. Gather up the edges to enclose the bbq pork filling. Pinch to seal and twist it together. Put the bun upside down on the parchment paper square. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Place the buns about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Let it rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoon of water and half of the remaining beaten egg. Brush the bun with egg mixture.
- Bake the bun for about 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.