- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Chinese Braised Eggplant Recipe
Braised eggplant is the most well loved classic Chinese eggplant recipe, is traditionally made of eggplant, dried shrimp and pork. This simple eggplant dish is seasoned lightly with soy sauce. This braised eggplant is using Chinese eggplant instead of Western/American eggplant. Asian eggplant is less spongy and has more moisture than American counterpart.
The spongy eggplant soaks up the flavor of any seasonings and sauces. Therefor it's not a tasteless vegetable at all. Here is how to make tasty Chinese-style of braised eggplant. It's easy and quick to fix.
- 1 1/2 lbs Chinese eggplant
- 12 dried shrimp
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 lbs pork, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of reserved water from soaking dried shrimp
How to Fix
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise.
- Then cut it diagonally into bite-size pieces.
- Soak the dried shrimp in 1/2 cup of warm water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and chop it. Save the soaking water.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, salt and reserved water from soaking dried shrimp.
- Heat a wok over high heat.
- Add oil, dried shrimp, garlic, spring onions and ginger.
- Stir-fry for 15 seconds.
- Then add pork. Continue to stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggplant slices.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover. Simmer about 15 minutes or until the eggplant is soft.