Chinese Dim Sum Chicken Congee Recipe (Gai Juk)
Congee or rice soup or porridge is a simple breakfast of a lot of Asian especially Chinese. Basically congee is rice cooked in large amount of liquid either water or broth. It is very inexpensive breakfast. With one cup of rice you can make a large pot of soup that will feed a lot of people. It can be eaten at all times of day but preferably in the morning. It is a magical remedy for any ailments such as cold and stomachache.
Congee or juk (jook) is also popular dim sum food. Most dim sum restaurants will include congee on their menu. Usually, the thick rice soup is served with chicken, century egg, or you tiao (Chinese donut), salted duck egg, tofu and seasoned with soy sauce and pepper.
Here is how to make Chinese chicken congee. Next time you are craving of delicious and warm chicken congee, you will have no need go to dim sum restaurant. It's easy and tasty.
What You Need
1 cup long grain rice
12 cups chicken stock
1 piece of fresh ginger (about 1/2-inch)
1 lbs boneless chicken breast
1 tsp Chinese rice wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
3 spring onions
light soy sauce
chopped spring onions (garnish)
ground white pepper
How to Fix
- Slice the chicken into 1-inch pieces. In a bowl, combine chicken, salt, sugar and rice wine. Set aside.
- Wash the rice.
- In a large pot, combine rice, chicken stock, ginger and spring onions. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours or until the rice soup is thick and creamy. If the congee is too thick, add chicken stock or water to thin it.
- Add the marinated chicken into the hot simmering congee. Stir and simmer for about 10 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls. Serve with chopped spring onions, ground white pepper, soy sauce and or Chinese bread stick (you tiao), century egg .
More Chinese Recipes
- Stir-Fried Mongolian Lamb Recipe
How to stir-fry lamb. A Mongolian inspired dish.
- Chinese Stir-Fried Lettuce With Garlic Recipe. A Quick And Easy Chinese Auspicious Dish.
How to stir-fry lettuce. A vegetarian dish.
- Easy Stir-Fried Eggs and Tomatoes Recipe. How to Make Easy Chinese Stir-Fry!
How to stir-fry tomatoes. Easy and healthy dish.
- Chinese Barbecued Spareribs Recipe
- Chinese Stir-Fried Bean Sprouts With Bean Sauce Recipe. An Easy Vegetarian Dish
How to stir-fry bean sprouts. A healthy dish.
- Chinese Shrimp Toast Recipe