Chinese Dim Sum Crispy Shrimp Ball Recipe
When it's time for party and entertaining, crispy shrimp ball is an easy-to-make appetizer. It's deep fried snack made of ground shrimp, crabmeat and water chestnut. This ball shaped food is coated with crunchy tiny cubes of bread. Therefor sometime it's called "hundred corner balls".
Making these shrimp balls are fun. What you need is fresh ingredients. Fresh shrimp and crabmeat will yield sweet, savory and springy meatballs. Always squeeze out the excess moisture of shrimp and crabmeat to get a bouncy and tasty meatball.
This food is not just delicious but also pleasant on the eyes. It's crispy, crunchy, sweet, and juicy. They are just flavorful and wonderful. Crispy shrimp balls are great finger foods for any occasion. But if you do not have time for fixing it, you still can enjoy them at any dim sum restaurant.
What You Need
Serves 6 - 10
11 oz medium shrimp, peeled, rinsed, drained
5 1/2 oz crabmeat
1/2 cup minced water chestnut
1 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
1 1/2 tbsp chopped spring onions
2 tsp rice wine
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp cornstarch
20 slices sandwich bread, crust removed
canola oil for deep frying
How to Fix
- Use paper towels to wrap the shrimp and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Put the shrimp in a food processor. Process to a paste. Transfer to a bowl. Then add water chestnut and crabmeat.
- Stir in spring onions, rice wine, egg white, salt, sesame oil and cornstarch. Stir until the mixture forms a stiff paste. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cut the sandwich bread into 1/4-inch cubes. Spread the cubes on a cookie sheet. Let it dry for about 2 hours. Turning occasionally.
- Take 1 teaspoon of the shrimp mixture and shape it into a ball. Roll the ball in the bread cubes to coat. Press lightly the ball to make the cubes of bread bind. Repeat this step with the remaining shrimp mixture. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over high heat . Add the oil and heat it to 350 F. Slide about 7 - 8 of the shrimp balls and deep-fry until golden brown. Turning constantly.
- Remove from the oil and drain. Transfer to a platter. Serve warm.