Chinese Pickles Recipe
This is the easiest and tastiest pickle dish. It is consist of carrots, cucumbers, daikon radish. This sweet and sour pickle does not need any special brine and fermentation method. It does not require any cooking method such as boiling but need salting process to remove natural moisture of the vegetables. Therefor the sweet and sour marinade will penetrate better and flavor the vegetables more thoroughly.
The marinade is very simple; sugar and rice vinegar. The shredded ginger is added to enhance the flavor of fresh and crunchy vegetables. These sweet and sour pickles will keep for about one week in the fridge. The longer the vegetables marinate, the will have more flavors.
This simple pickle is great for a starter, light snack or vegetable side dish.
- 6 medium carrots, peeled, julienned
- 2 seedless cucumber, peeled, julienned
- 8 oz daikon radish, peeled, julienned
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely shredded ginger
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 10 tbsp sugar
How to Fix
- Place carrots in a large mixing bowl.
- Then add carrots and daikon radishes.
- Add salt.
- Toss lightly to coat with salt.
- Let it rest in room temperature for about 2 hours.
- Transfer the vegetable to a colander and rinse under cold running water to remove the salt.
- Drain. Remove any excess of water.
- Return the vegetables to mixing bowls.
- Add sugar, ginger and vinegar.
- Stir to mix. Tossing constantly to coat. Make sure the sugar is totally dissolved.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve: transfer to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle some crusted roasted peanut or sesame seeds over the pickle.
- Serve cold.
More Vegetarian Recipes
- Fried Sweet Tempeh Recipe (Tempe Bacem) - A Vegetarian Dish
- Japanese Red Sticky Rice Recipe (Sekihan)
- Vietnamese Sticky Rice With Mung Beans And Hominy Recipe (Xoi Bap)
- Sundanese Raw Vegetable Salad With Spicy Peanut Sauce Recipe (Karedok)