- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Black Chicken and Red Dates Soup Recipes
How do you like this recipe?
Black chicken and red dates soup has been one of the popular tonic soups among Chinese of all ages. It is suitable for everyone to drink and can be drunk at anytime. The soup tastes sweet because of the natural sweetness of red dates. This soup is very easy to make and very nutritious because the black chicken has higher nutritional value than regular chicken and red dates contain many vitamins and minerals which can improve overall health. This soup is especially good for females who have just lost blood due to menstruation, or given birth, or have anemia. The red dates contain anti-inflammatory property, this soup can help slow the aging process as well.
Nutrition Value of Red Dates:
The Benefits of Red Date
Red Dates, also called jujube, is a fruit loaded with many essential vitamins and minerals (see nutritional value by USDA Nutrition source). It has long been regarded as one of the top nutritious fruits in China. It can be consumed raw or cooked along with other food. Many Asian families grow jujube tree in their back yard. Fresh jujube is light green, but turns red when it is dry. When we make tea or soup with red dates, we usually remove the pit inside first. Here are the main benefits of red date:
- In Chinese medicine practice, red date has been used to treat people with anemia because it is high in iron.
- Red date is used to reduce the risk of stroke due to its high percentage of potassium.
- According to Chinese medical experience, red date can protect the liver.
- Red date is also used to ease the sensitivities of purpura - a red or purple discolorations on skin that are caused by bleeding underneath the skin.
- Consuming red dates regularly in moderate amounts can improve immune system and skin.
I make Chicken and Red Date soup about twice a month for everyone in my family to drink. This soup can cause abdominal fullness if you consume too much. Please use red dates with caution if you have abdominal fullness such as too much gas.
- 1 Black Chicken (Silkie), Cleaned
- 2 cups Red Dates (Dried Jujube), Cleaned
- 2 slices Ginger
- 1 quart Water
Cooking Instructions - Boil
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Put in the all the ingredients.
- Bring to water to a boil again, then turn the heat to low and simmer it for 1 hour.
Cooking Instructions - Steam
The traditional Chinese way of making Black chicken and Red Date soup is to steam it. The ingredients are the same as the soup for boiling, except the water is 1 cup instead of 1 quart for the soup. Here are the steps:
- Use a ceramic container that is just big enough to whole all the ingredients for the Black Chicken and Red Date soup.
- A lid is required to seal all the original soup within the ceramic container during cooking.
- Put the ceramic container inside a large pot with 2 cups of boiling water.
- Steam for 2 hours.
- Serve when it is hot.