- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Chinese Stir-Fried Bitter Gourd With Pork And Black Bean Sauce Recipe
Bitter gourd or bitter melon is edible fruit from melon and cucumber family (Cucurbitaceae). Unlike regular squash, cucumber or melon with light and sweet flavor, this strange looking melon is totally bitter. In Asia, bitter gourd is prized for its medicinal value.
In Chinese cuisine, bitter gourd is considered as a "cooling fruit' or food with yin atributes. Commonly, bitter gourd is used in stir-fry dishes, salad, soups, tea or for making curry and pickle.
Here is how to prepare bitter gourd, stir-fried bitter gourd with pork. This is a bitter, savory and pungent dish. Salty and pungent fermented black bean sauce is used to counterbalance the bitterness of bitter gourd. The blanching or parboiling is necessary to reduce some of the bitterness.
What You Need
Serves 4 - 6
3 medium bitter gourd
12 oz lean pork, thinly sliced
5 tsp fermented black beans
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup chicken stock,
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
a pinch of black pepper
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp oil
2 tsp Chinese rice wine
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
How to Fix
- Cut and slice the pork into 2-inches in length and 1/8- inch wide pieces. In a mixing bowl, mix the pork with marinade ingredients. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Wash and rinse the bitter gourd. Split it open and remove the seeds. Slice the bitter gourd into very thin slices. Then blanch or parboil it for about 3 minutes. Remove from the water and wash under cold running water to stop cooking process. Drain.
- Wash and rinse the fermented black beans in cold water. Drain. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 teaspoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Heat a wok over high heat. When hot add cooking oil, garlic and fermented black beans. Stir for about 30 seconds or until the beans and garlic has become fragrant.
- Add pork and stir-fry for 2 - 3 minutes or until the pork is 85% done. Then throw the bitter gourd in and stir for 30 seconds to combine.
- Pour the sauce mixture in. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes. Last add the cornstarch mixture and stir for just 15 seconds or until the sauce thickens.
More Chinese Recipes
- Yang Chow Fried Rice Recipe
How to fix Yang Chow fried rice. This is totally different variant of fried rice.
- Stir-Fried Mongolian Lamb Recipe
How to stir-fry lamb. A Mongolian inspired dish.
- Chinese Stir-Fried Clams With Bean Sauce And Chili. How to Stir-Fry Clams !
How to stir-fry clams with bean sauce and spicy chili. A tasty seafood dish.
- Stir-Fried Chinese Beef Curry Recipe
How to fix stir-fry beef with spicy curry powder.
- Chinese Stir-Fried Shrimp With Sichuan Peppercorn Recipe
How to make spicy shrimp with Sichuan peppercorn. Spicy but tasty
- Easy Chinese Egg Foo Young Recipe