Chinese Stir-Fried Romaine Lettuce With Garlic Recipe. A Quick And Easy Chinese Auspicious Dish.
Here a super easy stir-fried vegetable dish. The ingredients are pretty simple: romaine lettuce and garlic. If Westerner enjoy this leafy vegetable in salad, then Chinese love it in stir-fried dishes. .
Stir-fried lettuce is a very common menu in any restaurants in China, Hongkong, Malaysia or Singapore but not in USA. This humble dish is always served for special occasion fares such as Chinese New Year, birthdays or graduations. Lettuce or "saang choy" ( Cantonese ) is a homonym for "growing money". Thus stir-fried lettuce is a symbol dish to wish prosperity and wealth.
This dish is a popular summer vegetable dish in China. This tender, crisp and sweet green is believed to produce some coolling effects or yin atributes.
Next time you have a birthday parties or graduation parties, get stir-fried lettuce on your menu. I hope you will prosper and wealthy.
What You Need
1 head of romaine lettuce, cut cross section into 1-inch-wide pieces
3 - 4 garlic coves, thinly slices
1 1/2 tbsp chicken broth
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
How to Fix
- To make sauce: in a small bowl combine rice wine, soy sauce, salt, oyster sauce, white pepper and chicken broth.
- Heat a wok or skillet over high heat. Add cooking oil. When hot, add garlic and stir-fry until it is fragrant. Throw the lettuce in the wok. Continue to stir-fry for 1 minute or until the lettuce begins to wilt.
- Pour in the sauce. Stir rapidly to combine. Then stir-fry for 1 minute or until the lettuce is tender-crisp but not overcooked. The color should be bright green.
How to Stir-Fry Lettuce (Sahng Choy)
How to Clean Romaine Lettuce
More Chinese Recipes
- Cooking with Kids - Quick and Easy Chinese Sesame Peanut Noodles Recipe
- Easy Stir-Fried Eggs and Tomatoes Recipe. How to Make Easy Chinese Stir-Fry!
- Easy Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Tofu Recipe. How to make Chinese Stir fry!
- Stir-Fried Asparagus with Spicy Sichuan Sauce Recipe. How to Cook Chinese Style Asparagus!
- Stir-Fried Garlicky Shanghai Bok Choy. An Easy Vegetarian Dish
- Stir-Fried Water Spinach (Ong Choy) With Fermented Bean Curd Recipe. How To Make Vegetarian Stir-Fri
- Yang Chow Fried Rice Recipe
- Chinese Stir-Fried Shrimp With Sichuan Peppercorn Recipe
- Stir-Fried Mongolian Lamb Recipe
- Stir-Fried Chinese Beef Curry Recipe
- Stir-Fried Yu Choy Sum With Oyster Sauce And Garlic Recipe
- Chinese Stir-Fried Clams With Bean Sauce And Chili. How to Stir-Fry Clams !