Chinese Dim Sum Turnip Cake Recipe (Low Bok Gow)
This is another popular dim sum dish. Turnip cake aka radish cake or sometime known as Chinese carrot cake is snack made of shredded daikon radish, dried shrimp, mushrooms, sausage and rice flour. It's a kind steamed cake and sometime pan-fried or stir-fried with some seasoning to add more flavors. The stir-fry version is known as fried carrot cake in Singapore and Malaysia.
It's usually served in dim sum restaurants. It's also available in any small eateries or street vendors. Traditionally, turnip cake is eaten during Chinese New Year celebration, as Chinese believe that radish is bringing good fortune.
This savory cakes have unique textures. The pan-fry version is soft with a crunchy layer on the outside. Dried shrimp, sausage and mushroom add extra crunchy texture to the cake.
Serves 4 - 8
1 1/2 lbs daikon radish (Chinese turnip)
2 cup chicken stock
10 dried shrimp
8 dried shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup of soaking water of dried shrimp and shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped Chinese sausage
1 1/2 cup rice flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tsp salt
How to Fix
- Peel the daikon radish. Wash and pat dry. Then shred the daikon radish.
- Wash and rinse the shiitake mushroom and dried shrimp. Soak in warm water for 20 minutes. Then drain but reserve about 1/2 cup of the soaking water for later use.
- Chop the dried shrimp and shiitake mushroom into fine pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch with reserved water from soaking of dried shrimp and mushrooms.
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil chicken stock and finely shredded daikon radish. Then lower the heat to simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Then add cornstarch mixture. Mix it well.
- Add finely chopped dried shrimp, shiitake mushroom and sausage. Stir to combine.
- Slowly stir in rice flour and salt. Mix it well.
- Transfer the daikon radish mixture into a well-greased cake pan.
- Prepare the steamer. Steam the radish cake over boiling steam for about 1 hour or until the cake is firm and set.
- Transfer from the heat. Cool completely and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Serve it cold or pan fry in a little oil until both side are golden brown. Serve it with soy sauce, chili sauce, hoisin sauce or other dipping sauce.