Chinese Vegetarian Dumplings Recipe - No Meat Dim Sum
This is vegetarian version of Chinese dumplings. The filling is made of napa cabbage, carrot, chives and shiitake mushroom. Wonton skin or gyoza/dumpling skin is used as the wrapper. This perfect pop-in-the mouth dim sum food can be steamed, deep fried or pan fried.
Chinese vegetarian dumplings are healthy finger food or snack. They are flavorful and delicious. If you are looking for no meat and healthy dish, this is the right dish. This vegetarian dumplings also great for fixing vegetarian version of Chinese pot stickers or Chinese dumpling soup.
If you are using napa cabbage as the filling ingredient, it's important to squeeze out the excess of water from the cabbage to avoid soggy dumplings.
- 5 cup thinly shredded napa cabbage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 9 dried shiitake mushroom, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, minced
- 1 1/2 cup chives
- 1 1/2 cup grated carots
- 30 dumpling skins
- oil for deep frying
How to Fix
- In a mixing bowl, put the napa cabbage. Add the salt and toss. Let it rest for 1 hour to remove excess liquid.
- Use paper towel or cheesecloth to wrap the cabbage and squeeze out as much water as possible. Place the cabbage in a bowl.
- Combine soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, ground pepper and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat a tablespoon of cooking oil over high heat. Then add minced garlic and ginger, and shiitake mushrooms.
- Stir-fry about 15 seconds or until fragrant. Add the chives, carrot. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage and soy sauce mixtre. Stir-fry for 20 seconds or until the thickened. Transfer to a platter and spread it out to cool.
- Put a tablespoon of the filling in the center of dumpling skin. Fold over the skin to form half-moon shape. Moisten the edge with water. Form small pleats along the edges. Press the edges to seal. Place the dumpling on a baking sheet.
- Heat a skillet and add about 1 inch of oil. Heat the oil to 350 F. Then add 8 dumplings at a time. Fry over medium heat until golden brown. Remove from the heat and drain.
- Serve warm with soy sauce.
More Dim Sum Recipes
- Chinese Curry Chicken Puff Recipe
- Chinese Dim Sum Crispy Shrimp Ball Recipe
- Chinese Steamed Pork Balls Recipe
- Lotus Root Pancake Recipe - Chinese Dim Sum Dish
- Chinese Dim Sum Beijing Flower Roll Recipe (Hua Juan)
- Chinese Dim Sum Turnip Cake Recipe (Low Bok Gow)