Recipe | Chingri Machher (Macher) Malai Curry (How To Make Prawn Curry With Coconut Milk)
Bengali Name : Chingri Macher Malai Curry
This is another delicious recipe from the Bengali cuisine. Although it’s a little heavy but who cares when such a mouth watering dish is just in front of you!
Ingredients Serve for 3 -4
- Prawn big size 4 no
- Onion 2 no
- Almond 10 no
- Ginger ½ inch
- Green chili 2 no
- Coconut 1 no
- Cardamom 4 no
- Cinnamon 1 inch
- Garam masala powder ½ tsp
- Bay leaf 2 no
- Mustard oil 2 tbsp
- Clarified butter 1tsp
- Turmeric powder 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Remove outer shell and the black thread from the prawns and wash them. Marinate with turmeric powder and salt for 15 minutes.
- Boil the prawns for 5 minutes and screen it.
- Grind ginger and green chili and keep aside.
- Soak the almonds, peel and grind to make a fine paste.
- Peel onions, boil for 5 minutes and grind it to make a paste.
- Grate coconut, mix with a little hot water and then grind it. Press the mixture through a fine cloth to get the fresh coconut milk.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan till smokes starts coming.
- Add cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves.
- Lower the flame and add ginger-green chill paste.
- Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add onion paste and cook till water gets dried.
- Add prawns and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, clarified butter and garam masala powder.
- Serve with fine rice.
If you are new to the Indian cuisine please read how to make the “Garam masala” http://hubpages.com/hub/Make-Your-Own-Spices-For-Your-Indian-Cuisine
If you want to use coconut milk powder which is available in the market, take 3 tbsp of powder and mix with 1 cup of hot water.