- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Chingri Malai Curry
Prawn is very popular seafood and is extensively eaten in India especially in Bengal. Prawns cooked in spices with coconut milk, served with white rice or Pulao forms an authentic Bengali meal. A curry cooked with Chingri mach (a common Bengali term used for prawns) is generally a part of the Bengali menu, especially on special occasions such as the Poila Boisakh (Bengali New Year).
Cleaning Fresh Prawns
- First remove the head and legs.To remove the head, just twist and pull it away from the body. Then squeeze the tail to remove it from the body.
- To remove the shell, you need to crack open the underbelly of the prawn and peel it away from the flesh.
- The next step is to de-vein the prawn. For this, use a small sharp knife and make a slit along the middle of the back to expose the dark vein and pull it out.
You are now done with the prawns and can proceed to cook the delicious dish.
- 500 gm Prawns
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- 1/2 tbsp Whole cumin
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Cumin paste
- 2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4-5 Green cardamoms
- 1 inch stick Cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
- Clean the prawns as explained earlier and apply a little salt and turmeric powder and keep aside for about ½ hour.
- Heat 1 tsp of mustard oil in a pan and saute the prawns on medium heat till the prawns turn pale golden in colour. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan and add sugar, bay leaves, green cardamoms and cinnamon. Add the whole cumin and let the seeds turn light brown.
- Add ginger paste, cumin powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and saute.
- When the oil is surfacing on the gravy, add the fried prawns and stir for few minutes at a simmered flame.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for a few more minutes till the gravy thickens and then add salt.
- At the end, sprinkle garam masala and ghee on top and serve with white rice or Pulao.