- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
Easy Chocolate Birthday Cupcakes - 1st Birthday to Teen Birthday - Moist and Delicious.
Iced and Decorated Chocolate Cupcake
Please vote to rate this recipe
Baking for Beginners or Pro's
This chocolate cupcake or round cake recipe is delightfully simple. For a seasoned pro baker or a beginner this is one recipe that will work for many different birthday or other special ocassions. Use either a food processor or hand held whisk to mix.
If you are pressed for time, bake the cakes the day before and store in an airtight container ready for icing. The cakes will still taste fresh baked. Left over iced cakesfrom the party can be stored in an airtight container in the refridgerator for up to a week.
Ingredients for Cake and Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Butter (at room Temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups Sour or buttermilk*, * To make sour milk add 4 tsp white vinegar to 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 cup Butter (for frosting at room temperature)
- 2 - 21/2 cups Icing or powdered sugar*, *to make chocolate icing add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder to 2 cups of sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup plain yoghurt or milk
- Food Colouring (Optional)
- Heat Oven to 350F. Line muffin tins with pretty cupcake papers suitable for the ocassion. For round cake, grease and line 2 x 9" pans with wax paper. Extend baking time to 30-35 mins for round cake.
- Stir dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl or food processing bowl.
- Add eggs, soured or buttermilk, butter and vanilla and beat on low for one minute, scraping sides of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are combined. Beat on high for three minutes. Scraping mix from sides as needed.
- Pour or spoon mixture into muffin cups (fill half way up) or divide and pour into 2 round prepared pans.
- Bake cupcakes for 18-22 mins until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean. For round cakes bake for 30-35 mins. Cool cakes on wire racks. Store in airtight container until ready to ice.
- For Frosting combine butter and 2 cups of sugar and vanilla into a food processor or mixing bowl and beat together until soft and creamy. Add more sugar or cocoa powder if needed and milk or yogurt TIP: Do not add milk or yogurt in one go. Add as much as needed until the right consistency is created.
- Optional divide mixture and colour with food colouring drops
Birthday Cupcakes with Frosting and Fruit
Depending on the theme or age of the birthday person select unique paper cup papers. Use a cupcake frosting squeeze bottle with tip to create swirls. Add fruit or candies or sprinkles for effect. For a round cake use small toys or candies to create a theme such as a swimming pool, animal face or park. To make different colours from the food colourings combine red and blue for purple, yellow and red for orange. To make pastel colours add only one drop to the sugar.