- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Buttersweets Recipe
Buttery cookies, cream cheese, pecans, coconut and dark chocolate perfectly complement each other in these decadent cookies. I added this recipe to my collection over 40 years ago and it is still a favorite. Yesterday I made them with my granddaughter to share on Thanksgiving Day.
How to Make Chocolate Buttersweets
Chocolate Buttersweets are created in three steps: the cookie base, cream cheese filling, and chocolate topping. While it may look like a lot of work, it really doesn't take that long, and they are well worth the effort. This recipe makes about two dozen cookies.
Before you get started, let butter and cream cheese soften to room temperature. It is also important to note that the cream cheese filling needs to be applied to the cookie while it is still warm, so plan to mix the filling when the cookies go into the oven.
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 to 1 1/4 c. flour (I use one cup)
- Cream butter, sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour.
- Shape by teaspoons full into balls.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press an indentation in the center of each. (Cookies do flatten out when baked)
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. (Do not overbake)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 1 c. sifted confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts (I prefer pecans)
- 1/2 c. flaked coconut
- Mix cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla.
- Gradually add coconut and nuts.
- Fill cookies while still warm.
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/2 c. sifted confectioners sugar
- Melt chocolate chips, water, and butter over low heat.
- Remove from heat when melted.
- Add confectioners sugar and beat until smooth
This recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies. I keep them in the refrigerator for a firmer filling, but they are delicious at room temperature, too!