- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Cookies & Biscuits
Chocolate Chip Toffee Pretzel Cookie Recipe
Chocolate Chip Toffee Pretzel Cookies
There is something undeniably delicious about the combination of salty and sweet. Instead of creating some chocolate candy and pretzel snack mix, why not combine chocolate chips, toffee, and pretzels in these amazing cookies? This chocolate chip cookie recipe is far from ordinary - chewy in the middle, crisp on the edges, and chock full of yummieness, make these chocolate chip toffee pretzel cookies the next time you're craving dessert!
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Toffee Pretzel Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 3/4 sticks of butter (14 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup white/granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups, packed, of light or dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of toffee bits
- 1 cup of pretzels, broken
Melting the butter instead of creaming it gives the cookies a denser, more toffee-like texture.
Instructions for Making the Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine the flour and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Place 10 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Do not use a non-stick skillet, if you can avoid it, because the dark, no-stick bottom can make it difficult to tell when the butter is browned and ready. Swirl the pan occasionally to agitate the butter and cook until it is golden brown and has a deep, nutty smell.
4. While the butter is melting, prepare the other ingredients. First, measure out the sugars and set them aside. Next, measure the chocolate chips and toffee bits. Last, measure a cup of pretzels, remove them from the measuring cup, and break them into pieces. Pretzels are easy to break by hand, or you can place them in a plastic bag and crush them with the flat of your hand, a glass, meat tenderizer, or anything else convenient.
5. Once the butter is ready, pour it from the pan into a heat-proof bowl. Use a spatula to scrape all the melted butter from the pan and add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the bowl. I use a Tovolo silicone spatula and it is simply amazing! It cleans every last bit out of a bowl. Whatever your weapon of choice, stir the butter until all of it is melted.
6. After the butter is completely melted, add both sugars and whisk until thoroughly combined.
7. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and whisk until thoroughly combined. Then, allow the dough to rest for three minutes and whisk again for about 30 seconds. The dough should visibly thicken and take on a glossy sheen. If it is not thick and shiny, let it rest again for an additional 3 minutes and whisk 30 more seconds.
8. Carefully fold in the flour mixture. Make sure to combine it thoroughly, but do not over mix. Once again, a Tovolo spatula is the perfect tool! It really scrapes the sides and bottom, ensuring there are no surprise pockets of flour.
9. Carefully fold in the chocolate chips, toffee bits, and pretzels. Stir until just combined.
10. Place heaping spoonfuls of dough about 2" apart on a cookie sheet. For cookies with a chewy center, keep the dough balls mounded. For an all around crispier, toffee-like cookie, flatten the dough balls a little.
11. Bake cookies, one tray at a time, until the edges are crispy but the centers still look slightly puffy and unfinished. This should take 10-12 minutes.
12. Allow cookies to cool slightly on the tray before placing them on a cookie rack to cool completely before serving. Or, at the very least, try to wait long enough you don't burn yourself. =)
What do you Think?
The Best Cookies Ever
Ok, so maybe I'm a little biased since I created them, but I think these may be the most amazing cookies I've ever tasted. They have it all - literally. They are so tasty that, when I brought a plate of them to work, an office of four had polished off the entire batch before 5. That doesn't even happen with free doughnuts!
If you have any questions about the process, please just let me know. I'm more than happy to help you enjoy my creations!