Best Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Cookies! Chocolate Chip Cookies!
By far the most requested cookie at my house is chocolate chip. I think there’s also a national law somewhere that the very first cookie American kids (or The Horde, which make up about 1/3 of all kids in America) learn to bake – first with an adult, and then by about age 9 or 10, on their own with supervision. Finally by the time they’re 12 or so, they can do it on their own.
My own favorite cookie is the simple, plain-Jane version my grandmother first made with me – the one off the round blue box. But because The Horde all picks chocolate chip first, we produce three batches of chocolate chip cookies to every one batch of anything else. We’ve made them so much I’ve memorized the recipe, and have tweaked my version over the years to be a super-fast, ultra simple, one-bowl recipe. I’ve discovered that by adding the baking soda at the beginning with the butter and sugar, I save the extra step of sifting the dry ingredients together. I also have adapted the ingredient ratio to be easier to remember – other than the bit of salt, all the other ingredients are whole numbers – I think of these as one of my 1-2-3 recipes. Easy peasy.
These have nice crisp edges, soft middles and a beautiful buttery flavor. That’s about all anybody can ask for. Maybe a glass of milk. And some jewelry.
Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350F.
2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.
Visit the website!
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!