- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Cookies & Biscuits
Chocolate Chip Hazelnuts Cookies Recipe
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: 1 batch of cookies
I have to admit, for a very long time I wasn’t a very big fan of hazelnuts; the truth I never really had a hazelnut that I could remember for the first twenty years of my life. Then, when I worked at a gas station (back in the late 1990’s—when the gourmet coffee craze hit) they decide to “liven up” people gas station stops by offer flavored coffees, amaretto flavored non-dairy creamer and fresh pasties (which were not very fresh or tasty). One of the flavored coffees was” hazelnut”—it was horrible.
Of course, anyone who knows anything about food knows that “flavored” anything ends up not tasting like the chosen flavor that it is supposed to be; and when it comes to almonds, peanuts, or hazelnut (or any nut in general ) that have to be fresh to taste good.
Hazelnuts are awful if they are stale, but they are wonderful when they are fresh, and when it comes to making cookies, many times we see more walnuts and peanuts in our chocolate chip cookies than any other nuts.
If you ever thought that hazelnuts were bland and boring then you’ve never eaten fresh ones, and when they are in a chocolate chip cookie they are the best. The following recipe is for making delicious chocolate chip hazelnut cookie.
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cup of 100% whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter
¾ cup of white sugar
¾ cup of brown sugar
2 whole eggs
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
2 cups of chocolate chips
1 cup of chopped hazelnuts
13 x 10 baking dish
butter flavored cooking spray
- First, pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sift together the 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 ¼ cup of 100% whole wheat flour, the teaspoon of baking soda, and the 1 teaspoon of salt in a small mixing with a whisk.
- In a standing mixer whip the 2 sticks (one cup) of unsalted butter until fluffy.
- Add the ¾ cup of brown sugar, and the ¾ cup of white sugar to the butter and beat together.
- Add the teaspoon of pure vanilla extract to the butter and sugar and stir together.
- Crack and add one egg at a time to the butter and sugar mixture; mix well together before adding the second egg.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter, egg and sugar (adding the flour in three equal parts and mixing together until well incorporated before adding the next part is best).
- Slowly add the chocolate chip; mix well together so the chocolate chips are well incorporated.
- Add the chopped hazelnuts to the cookie dough and mix well.
- Spray the baking dish with the butter flavored cooking spray.
- Spread the chocolate chip hazelnut cookie dough evenly in the baking dish.
- Bake the cookie dough for 25 minutes.
- Allow the large cookie to cool for at least 45 minutes before cutting in to 1-2 inch squares.
- Store the cookies in a zip-lock bag or in the refrigerator to maintain freshness.
- You can also bake the cookies as single cookies: scoop out a tablespoon sized amount of cookie dough and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet with other dough balls; bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.