Chocolate Orange Cake: Egg Free, Cow Milk Free and Gluten Free Recipe
A Fabulously Good Chocolate Orange Cake -- A Free Recipe!
Thanks to the amazing discovery that ground flax seed is a good replacement for eggs in baked goods I’ve been working to develop some new recipes free of ingredients that trigger allergies. It was important to me to find out whether foods I knew I would like and could eat would work with this substitution.
A Cake Experiment
This recipe is my first dessert experiment using a new-to-me egg substitution with my other tried and true substitutions, such as coconut oil for butter. If the ground flax seed egg replacement did not work with chocolate and the other substitutions I need there would not be much point in my trying the egg substitution again–this egg free cake was a must try.
Well, any hesitation or question about using this egg substitution was instantly blown to the wind with the first bite of my chocolate orange cake. More experiments will definitely follow and I'll try to share them here on HubPages.
The cake is on the dense side but not as heavy as brownies. Rich with favorite flavors that seem to follow each other, overlap, and then blend deliciously, this recipe will be a regular at our house. It makes music on the tongue, and yes, I am unashamedly singing its praises and boasting at the success!
When people learn about the high-quality ingredients they are doubly delighted with the cake. I secretly feel that it’s kind of silly for me to get the applause, though. How could anyone go wrong when using such goodness in a recipe?
Hope you like this milk free, egg free, gluten free, chocolate orange cake with a chocolate orange frosting as much as we and our guests have enjoyed it. It is not a low calorie dessert, but the calories are healthy ones as opposed to the nutritionally empty ones of many desserts.
We find my new chocolate orange cake dangerously good, and doubly so because it serves up simply yet elegantly, making any occasion special. We, therefore, will have to be careful not to overindulge!
Chocolate Orange Cake Ingredients
- 1 Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cake Mix
- 1/2 Cup Full-Flavored Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Orange Juice, Room Temperature, Fresh Squeezed if Possible
- 1/2 Teaspoon Orange Extract, Not Imitation
- 3 Tablespoons Golden Flax Seed, Finely Ground
- 1/4 Cup Water
Flax, Juice, and Coconut Oil?Click thumbnail to view full-size
- Preheat oven according to cake package directions.
- Prepare a 9" cake pan with baking spray.
- Set out orange juice to become room temperature and the coconut oil to become liquid. (Depending on the room temperature you may need to slightly warm the coconut oil in the microwave--very slightly!)
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, mix the ground flax seed with the water. Allow to sit and gel for 15 minutes.
- Mix the orange juice and orange extract with the gelled flax seed. (It took a few minutes to get them mixed evenly. I wound up using the electric mixer to blend them thoroughly.)
- Pour coconut oil into the juice and flax mixture while blending it in with the mixer.
- Add cake mix and blend, then mix according to directions, making sure that the flax mixture and cake mix are combined well. The batter will be thick, but not as thick as brownies.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly, and bake according to package directions. (I find that the baking times for chocolate recipes are too long for my oven. I have to be careful not to over bake anything chocolate, especially since chocolate burns easily.)
- Cool for about 10 minutes and turn onto a pretty serving plate to finish cooling.
- Frost as soon as it is completely cooled. Be sure to check out the frosting recipe below.
Chocolate Orange Cake Frosting
Fast, easy, and yum, use the following to ice your cake and be ready to share the recipe with those you serve it to:
• 1 Package Dr. Oaetkers Organic chocolate frosting mix
• 1/2 Cup full-flavored coconut oil to replace the butter
• 1/4 Orange juice to replace the water
• 1/2 Teaspoon orange extract
Mix according to package directions.
Frost room temperature cake.
Do you like the flavors of chocolate and orange together?
Can Flax Seed be Used as a Replacement for Egg in a Made-From-Scratch Cake?
No problem! Adapting the wonderful ingredients for this cow milk free, egg free, and gluten free recipe to a homemade cake recipe would be, excuse the cliche, a piece of cake. I’m hoping to come up with a made from scratch recipe soon. (If you beat me to it and write a hub about it, let me know so I can link it here!)
☀ Fabulous Flax Crackers
☺ Get to Know Flax Seed!
More on the Use of Flax Seed and its Benefits:
- Flax Seed Helps Lower Cholesterol: Amaze Your Doc!
Fresh ground flax seed can help lower cholesterol levels, although doctors may disagree. Flax seed is packed with healthy nutrients.
- Flax Seed: Smart Food For Dieting
Fresh ground flax seed's fiber stimulates sluggish systems that are carrying extra pounds.
- Jumpstart Weight Loss With The Right Diet Plan
"Easy” eating frees up a person who is trying to lose weight and flax seed helps sluggish system to shed pounds more quickly.
- Flax Seed: Soothing Comfort Packs
Flax seed’s concentration of oil means that the pack will hold heat well, providing soothing warmth for comfort and healing.
☞ Unfamiliar with Grinding Flax Seed?
☝ Think About Egg Substitutes
Good-For-Us-Food with Recipes:
- Garbanzo Flour Peach Cobbler
Reduce the amount of gluten in your diet by substituting flours. This peach cobbler recipe uses garbanzo flour (often called chick peas) and agave sweetener.
- Is There A Relationship Between Insomnia And Artificial Sweeteners?
The brain becomes excited by these artificial sweeteners, indicating that bloggers instincts are on target. robertatalloni
- Sun Crystals: Cane Sugar and Stevia
Sun Crystals mixes sugar and stevia to make a product that works well for baking. Baked goods brown properly and yet do not give a sugar overload.
- Candy And Snacks: What's Best For Holidays And Birthdays
Snack foods now include organic and HFC free products. Healthy alternatives to traditional candy are fun and delicious.