- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Pecan Cookie Recipe
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 12 min
- Ready in: 27 min
- Yields: 2 dozen cookies
Do you enjoy chocolate cookies?
I am a big fan of chocolate.
Whenever I get the chance to make something with chocolate, I do.
This time around, I happened to end up with a whole bunch of chocolate chips (I guess most of my friends and family wanted to stop eating sweets after the holidays, and just gave me all their unwanted chocolate).
So I had to do something with it all.
I decided to make chocolate cookies with chopped pecans. I melted the chocolate chips in a double boiler and then added it to the cookie batter.
This is a simple recipe, but some people are a little nervous about melting chocolate on the stove top. All you need is a small sauce pot and a glass bowl that slightly larger than the pot but will fit inside of the pot, leaving room on the bottom for a little water to boil underneath.
These cookies are delicious and easily satisfy any chocolate carvings you might have.
½ cup of unsalted butter (which is one stick) or vegetable oil
½ cup of packed brown sugar
½ cup of white sugar
1 whole egg
1 cup of chocolate chips
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup of 100 percent wheat flour
½ cup of chopped pecans
--small sauce pot
--small glass bowl
(or a double boiler)
1. Pre-heat the oven 375 degree F.
2. Melt the chocolate chips in the double boiler.
(This is actual quite easy: pour about an ½ inch worth of water into the sauce pot and place the glass bowl over the pot; make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the glass bowl.
Put the pot on the stove top and set the heat to high.
Pour the chocolate chips into the bowl and wait until the water begins to boil, then turn the heat to low.
The chips will begin to melt. Start whisking the chips until they are fully melted and it whisks smooth. It should take about 3 minutes or so.
Then turn the heat off, and allow then melted chocolate to cool slightly before adding it to the batter.)
3. In the standing mixer mix together the vegetable oil (or unsalted butter) and brown sugar and the white sugar until well combined.
4. Add the pure vanilla extract to oil and sugar mixture and blend together.
5. Sift together wheat flour, the salt and the baking soda in a small mixing bowl.
6. Add the melted chocolate to the oil and sugar mixture and blend.
7. Add the flour mixture in three parts, mixing well before adding the next part.
8. Add the chopped pecans and mix the dough until it is well incorporated
9. When the dough is ready. Scoop out a tablespoon of dough.
10. Roll the dough into a 1-2 inch ball.
11. Press flat on a parchment paper lined cookies sheet.
12. Repeat the process until you have 12 cookies on the sheet.
13. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes.
14. Let cool for 3 minutes before removing from sheet. (you can roll out the other dozen cookies and bake on the same sheet.
15. After the cookies are baked and cool, you can store them in a ziplock bag. They should stay fresh for up to a week.